wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Topic Author

Chicken noodle soup

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Does anyone have a yummy chicken noodle soup recipe they can share with me? Both my kids have runny noses and I've heard chicken noodle soup is good for the cold and the soul :)

I want to put in chicken breast, creamed corn, frozen corn, celery, garlic, ginger and the basics.

I have never made it in my life and I'm 32!! Time to remedy that.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Re: Chicken noodle soup

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 pm

And carrot :)

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

I make my own chicken stock by boiling a chicken carcass (the carcass of a roast chicken is perfect - just add some wings and neck, or else you can buy chicken frames for the chicken shop for almost nothing) with some garlic cloves, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns.

I then strain it, and then make the soup. I usually just add some seasonal vegetables (chopped up beans are a good, as is celery, leek, carrots), some broken up bits of pasta (or egg noodles) and chicken meat.

Alibubba
This girl is all out of Milo!

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Yeah you have to use the whole carcass as that holds all the good stuff.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Thanks ladies, I'll take note for next time. The slow cooker recipe looks great. I can't count the number of times I've thrown the roast chicken carcass out. I've slowly been making changes to our diet, such as cooking most things from scratch. I'll add chicken stock to my to do list lol.

I made the soup in the thermomix. I put in garlic, ginger, celery, carrot, chicken breast, creamed corn, chicken stock powder and cornflour at the end. Then broke up angel hair pasta and let it sit in the thermoserver while I made bread rolls. It turned out quite nice. I added soy sauce to mine when I ate it.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 am

Yeah I've had thermie for nearly a year. Def not using it to its full potential but now that O is not as needy, I've got more time to experiment.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 am

I've made the stock paste...it looks like slime :lol:

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:57 pm

wacountrymum wrote:
I've slowly been making changes to our diet, such as cooking most things from scratch. I'll add chicken stock to my to do list lol.

Same here, cutting out as much processed and prepackaged stuff as possible has surely got to be a good thing.

On the chicken stock front - it's a great way to use up scraps! I hardly ever throw stuff out now - I make sure I buy chicken bones on the same day I buy vegies like cabbage or celery (then I just cut the core out or stringy bits too hard to eat and chuck it in with the carcass plus some other vegies plus herbs from the garden to make stock).

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Buy them Fee. Chicken frames are so cheap to buy - $1 for 3 chicken frames from the chicken shop, enough to make you a huge pot of stock!

We eat roast chicken at least once a fortnight - gotta love a meal that gives you leftovers to make another meal and bones for stock - no waste!

Alibubba

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I buy a whole chicken, then cut it up and use breasts for one meal, drumsticks and wings for another meal and the carcass for stock. So one chook which is around $12 and used for 3 meals very economical.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm

C do you freeze your stock?

I made my own butter today :)

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 pm

WACM yes I freeze them in little takeaway conrainers in various quantities - 100ml tubs to add to sauces and gravies, larger tubs to use in soups and risottos. I have an upright freezer and it is packed with stocks etc!

I also make an Asian style chicken stock whenever I make Hainanese chicken rice - I just cook chicken carcasses with spring onions, ginger, garlic, Chinese cooking wine, sesame seed oil and soy sauce. Then I add a piece of marinated chicken breast (marinated in dark soy, sesame seed oil and Chinese cooking wine) to poach in the stock. I also use the stock to cook the rice along with some spice paste, and have the broth to drink with the chicken and rice. All that leftover stock is fantastic for noodle soups - just add a dollop of miso paste for ramen, or some star anise / cloves /dried chillies for a spicy Chinese noodle soup

GeoLay
~ Twinsane ~
~ Twinsane ~

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm going to give homemade a go as well. I have never seen the carcass, might have to look at red lea next time.

As for chicken soup, I make this one
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/705/hea ... table+soup

Bubbles
Big Ted
Big Ted

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Today is definitely soup weather where I live today. So windy and cold!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Sunshine wrote:
C wrote:
I make my own chicken stock by boiling a chicken carcass (the carcass of a roast chicken is perfect - just add some wings and neck, or else you can buy chicken frames for the chicken shop for almost nothing) with some garlic cloves, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns.

I then strain it, and then make the soup. I usually just add some seasonal vegetables (chopped up beans are a good, as is celery, leek, carrots), some broken up bits of pasta (or egg noodles) and chicken meat.

Okay I'm going to do this. We're having a roast chicken tomorrow night. How long do I need to cook the carcass etc for? Can I do it Sunday night? What if I don't have time? Then I'm working Mon-Wed. Can I freeze the chicken carcass until later in the week?

And when you strain the bones along with all those vegies - you just then chuck that stuff out?

I simmer it for an hour or two after it comes to boil. It is so cold in Melbourne that I often just leave it overnight all sitting in the pot after it has been simmering for 2 hrs. You don't need to freeze the cooked chicken carcass Fee if you use within a day or two. And yes - when I strain, I throw everything out. Often I use the crappy bits of vegies to make the stock anyway - celery that is too stringy to eat, tops and tails of carrots, the tough middle stem of cabbages, etc.

After straining, I leave it in a tub in the fridge for overnight so that I can skim all the fat off e top before freezing them in little tubs.

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:05 pm

^ Sounds fine.

I love roast chicken. So easy. I love any roast actually.

I put my stock into ice cube trays to freeze, then once frozen I put them all into a zip lock bag and use as needed. Same as lemons. We have a lemon tree and they all seem to ripen at once so I squeeze and freeze!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Sounds good Fee. And yep raw chicken necks is fine!!

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:02 pm

I will have to try this! Mum used to make her own stock all the time. Not sure why I don't do it.
I really need a bigger fridge and pantry to store things like this.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:23 pm

It depends on how much chicken you use, and whether you roast the bones / carcasses before hand.

The stock I use is definitely not as concentrated in flavour as the ones you buy, but they're still pretty flavoursome. I make sure it is by packing in lots of herbs from the garden - lots of thyme, parsley + dried bay leaves + peppercorns from the pantry. Often I even chuck in the herbs that I used inside the roast chook in the stock and the leftover gravy (I mostly make gravy from scratch these days) - it's all flavour!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Plant some in a planter box on your deck, Fee? No possums there then?

Any sort of herb is better than none Fee!

GZIP: On | Load: 4.86