Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Beef Rendang

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:18 am

Does anyone know of a good recipe for this? I've found heaps online, but I'd really love a tried and true one!

I used to work at a hotel in Canberra and there was a Thai chef Sari who made the most unbelievably amazing Beef Rendang and I've never been able to replicate it! I did find a paste that was OK, but not good enough :lol: I'd love to find the perfect recipe :)

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride

Re: Beef Rendang

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 am

I've never made it! But there's one in the thermomix everyday cookbook (edc) that I've been meaning to try. You should be able to google it.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 pm

I am Malaysian so I know a good rendang when I eat one. The secret? Toasting your spices before you make the paste - it makes huge difference! And do not omit the tamarind pulp - it is what adds that lovely piquancy (that slight sour taste that you can't quite put your finger on. Most Malaysian curries add tamarind pulp water in place of any other kind of fluid, and mostly in addition to coconut cream or milk)

This is a pretty authentic recipe.
http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-re ... -daging/2/

ETA: You don't need to use short ribs but do use meat that has some muscle / fat marbled through it. Very lean meats do not make melt-in-your-mouth rendang.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Beef Rendang

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks so much C, I did see that one whilst googling and thought it seemed authentic. I'll add the ingredients to my next shopping list and have a crack at it! There's just so many recipes about it was hard to know which one to choose! I'll be sure to toast the spices too. I'll also report back!!

wacountrymum

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Can't believe how different the thermomix recipe is! It's obviously not authentic. I'll give it a go anyway, change the name to random beef curry lol

GZIP: On | Load: 3.62