wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Topic Author

Lacking inspiration

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm lacking inspiration in the kitchen at the moment. So what's something yummy you've cooked/baked recently. Mains or snacks...

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Lacking inspiration

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:01 pm

I've cooked some from the latest Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals. They've been really yummy.

beccy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Lacking inspiration

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Roasted pumpkin soup, vegemite and cheese scrolls.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Check out Smitten Kitten's blog for inspiration WACM. I have made the banana bread from there - yummy, healthy with a delicious texture.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/09/ ... ana-bread/

Other than that, I have made an apple galette, fig and sticky date pudding from Delicious and chocolate shortbread recently. That's about it.

As for meals - what sort of food do you like to eat? We eat a lot of Asian - partly because of my background and partly because all of them are quick meals! Recent meals on rotation are bibimbap (Korean - rice with beef bulgogi, greens, fishcakes, etc), ramen and Hainanese chicken rice (ok this one is not a quick meal)

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Scrolls are a good idea. I'll give them a go.

C we eat most things but its got to be toddler and baby friendly. I've got lots of chicken meals but I'm lacking in red meat. It's hard to do beef for a baby. Although as I'm writing this I'm thinking of casseroles, meatballs and stirfry.

Perhaps I've lost my mojo...

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 am

Ah ok ... so I am taking you need a no-salt option for baby?

Trying to think of some of our red meat meals:
- Your usual steak and veg (we used to give J chunks of steak to gnaw on as a bub) and bolognaise sauce
- Veal Saltimbocca - yum, must include this in next week's meal plan, haven't made it for ages!
- Beef bourguignon (I marinate my meat in a whole bottle of red wine :oops: but you could add a dollop of tomato paste for extra sweetness). Or else stock + tomato paste makes a nice sweetish casserole which might suit the kids better.
- Abruzzo lamb casserole - this is divine. Sadly haven't made this in a while as lamb is so expensive. Recipe [url=http://forum.maternal.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=101519&hilit=lamb+casserole]here[url]
- Marinated slow roasted lamb, I marinate in dried oregano flowers, lemon zest, garlic and oil.
- Marinated beef skewers in satay sauce with gado gado and rice (I marinate the beef in cumin, finely chopped onions, lemongrass, turmeric and a bit of soy sauce before hand. You can omit the soy sauce for bubs)
- Korean bibimbap is a toddler friendly meal (not so much baby if you are not using salt at all), A used to LOVE it as a toddler. I called it mixy rice. Marinate beef strips in soy sauce, sesame seed oil, and pear puree (use ripe pears or nashi pears). Then panfry in a very hot pan with a bit of oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. I serve it with steamed baby spinach and julienned carrots tossed with a bit of sesame oil, Asian fishcakes (can get from Asian grocer) cooked in a bit of oil and garlic, and kimchi (marinated / fermented Chinese cabbage with Korean chilli paste, can buy them from an Asian grocer but my Dad makes ours. I omit for the kids - too spicy for them). All served on top of steamed rice with a fried egg on top a(although when A was a toddler, I would just chop everything up roughly and mix it all through - hence the name 'mixy' rice :lol:). It is a very pretty dish - google it and you'll find heaps of images.

We all get like that sometimes. I keep a spreadsheet of our meals, for weeks when I am feeling very uninspired. Maybe start the weekly meal plan thread again? Always good inspiration to check out someone else's meal plan :D

GZIP: On | Load: 3.25