Re: How do you store...

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm

garlic in a jar in the fridge - i used jar stuff

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Ginger in a plastic container in the fridge. I don't tend to buy large pieces though as it does go off if I keep it for too long.

Garlic bulb in the fridge.

Lemongrass fresh from the herb garden. Whatever I don't finish, I cut into 10cm lengths and freeze.

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Hmm. I've tried storing garlic and ginger in the fridge and the cupboard. In the fridge it's dried out. But I haven't put it in a container so I'll give that a go. In the pantry in a container, the ginger has gone mouldy on the cut end. I guess I don't use it often enough. Garlic in the pantry seems to be ok.

I'll have to see if lemongrass will grow here. That would be awesome to have it in the garden.

~loopy1~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 pm

I have my garlic in an old ramekin next to the stove, the other 2 I don't use so can't tell ya!

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Do you go through it quickly Loopy? Or does it last well?

~loopy1~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 pm

I find it last ok, I only buy one bulb at a time tho, so that probably helps

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 am

I am trying to grow my own garlic, it grows really easily I hear. Right now I only buy one bulb at a time, and I have long given up on those bags of garlic that come from China (refuse to buy fruit and veg as I am not confident about how it is grown)

Re ginger in the fridge, it gets mouldy in the fridge even in a container. When My Dad has too much ginger, he finely grates it, pours a bit of boiling oil on it and a bit of salt, then chucks it in small tubs in the freezer. It keeps really well like that. I never have that problem as I really like Hainanese chicken rice so if I have too much ginger, I just make that for dinner and make up a whole batch of spring onion ginger sauce (which is so yum, I can eat the sauce alone with just plain rice)

If I can grow lemongrass in Melbourne, you can definitely grow it in WA. Mine grows against a shielded wall which gets the morning sun (so the wall gets pretty warm and stays warm most of the afternoon). And it is some crazy sized shrub, we need to keep trimming it to keep it in check!)

GZIP: On | Load: 1.73