Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

What is your all time favourite meal to cook and eat?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:36 pm

I've got 2 that are a massive hit with DH, really plain though. One is just steak with garlic prawns and garlic cream sauce on a bed of sweet and white potato mash. The other is chicken breast wrapped in bacon, sealed and finished in the oven then back to the stove top to finish with some cream over the top to make the sauce with the pan juices and serve with mash and steamed veg.

I also love cooking casserole type meals from scratch and really enjoy it when I put together the 'perfect' one haha then I try to remember how I did it so I can write down the recipe.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I almost wrote Lasagne too, and same as you, it's the only time I get to eat one that I like :lol: I'm a freak though, I hate tomatoes, but I'm fine with tomato paste... So I make mine with tomato paste, whereas most people make theirs with tinned tomatoes.

~Shell~
Can't hand this one back
Can't hand this one back

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Spag Bol made with fresh pasta and sauce from scratch (even roasting and pureeing the tomatoes).
Steak pie (although its a little different now we have to use GF pastry)

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Maybe I should do my own tomatoes? Since tomato paste is just puréed tomatoes, maybe I could find a way to make them acceptable for me? It's the smell, texture and seeds that I hate.

How do you do them Shell?

~Shell~
Can't hand this one back
Can't hand this one back

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Have you tried passata???

I roast the tomatoes with garlic then I put them through my attachment on the kitchenaid that removes the skin and seeds and leaves me with almost like tomato soup!

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:46 pm

~Shell~ wrote:
Have you tried passata???

I roast the tomatoes with garlic then I put them through my attachment on the kitchenaid that removes the skin and seeds and leaves me with almost like tomato soup!

oh that would be perfect for me, but I don't have a kitchenaid :( I'll check passata out, thanks.

GeoLay
~ Twinsane ~
~ Twinsane ~

Re: What is your all time favourite meal to cook and eat?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 pm

I love Lebanese cuisine, as its what I grew up with. I love kibbee and Koussa (Lebanese Zucchini stuffed with rice and lamb mince, simmered in a tomato base liquid)

Kids would say creamy chicken pasta at the moment

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Formerly known as wacountrybride

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:12 pm

I love marron with s & p and vinegar! Not really a meal though....not sure! Maybe rack of lamb with pesto, roast sweet potato and greens. Mmmmm

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Can they be different things? The food I like to make is not necessarily the food I like to eat most. I know that's hard to explain, but I will try.

The food I like to make is all the kinds of food my family makes - it evokes a sense of nostalgia and pleasure for me and brings me back to my childhood (my most vivid childhood memories are all about my family getting together to prepare for a meal - often at fesivals, etc for which my culture has plenty). I always find going back to those times to be a happy place for me and so I love making 'fesival food' like glutinous rice dumplings, etc.

But they're not necessarily the tastiest things I have ever eaten, if that makes sense? It gives me great pleasure to make a roast dinner because I love seeing the kids tuck into everything (especially J going 'nummy nummy nummy'). My own personal favourite, however, are simple foods that require very little cooking - like a plate of prawns, yum!

GZIP: On | Load: 4.43