Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Not quite meal planning, but almost...

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 pm

I love the idea of meal planning, but I also like flexibility and to be able to score bargains at the supermarket... So I've just done my shopping and on the whiteboard on the fridge I've written a list of about 10 meals that we have the ingredients for.

So each day or night before we can have a look and choose a meal and take it off when we no longer have the ingredients. I figured this can carry over from week to week too. So next week I might find that I've only got to buy stuff for 3 meals etc.

Anywho, I'll report back when I see if it works for us!

I know there's a few people on here that meal plan, would anyone like to share their thoughts on how best to do it?or how they make it work? I'd love to hear :)

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Re: Not quite meal planning, but almost...

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm

I have just started doing the same thing in the last 2 weeks and it is going great.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Not quite meal planning, but almost...

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Awesome, I feel like a douche for not thinking of it before :lol:

I'm trying to stick to a tight budget and this hopefully will keep me away from the supermarket between shops :) and keep me focused and healthy!

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:54 pm

And it sure helps use up old ingredients. And I can shop by the sales and not by a menu.

Megs
Formerly known as Megs4780
Formerly known as Megs4780

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:58 pm

I use this app http://www.foodplannerapp.com/ At the moment it is only on Android, but it's coming to Apple soon apparently. The app lets you either enter recipes or download them from sites like Taste. You can then add meals to the plan and it will generate a grocery list for you. I go through the list, cross off what we have, then use my phone at the shops. It's a bit of work to set up, but now I've got a bank of recipes it's the bomb! It's got all sorts of fancy features, like can save weekly plans, import plans, barcode scan, set up an inventory and enter how much items cost. It's free too, although I've upgraded to the pro version as I love it!

I have started shopping fortnightly at aldi, getting everything for the first week and what I can for the second week. I do a quick shop in the second week, preferably at our local shops but sometimes back at Aldi or Woolies.

It's really cut down our wastage and my time and effort in meal planning and cooking.

ETA: I just have the week plan, but decide each night what to actually cook, so I'm not super locked in to one thing. I usually do 5 or 6 meals planned, which allows for going out, being invited somewhere or a whim at the supermarket.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm

This is how I do it. I meal plan but leave the veggies to whatever is seasonal and on special. Eg if I do a noodle stir fry, I know I will use Asian vegies but will chop and change the vegies based on what I see at the shops. I know I will do a roast once a week and the kind of roast we will have and the vegies we use can change based on what I see as specials as well.

If I see meat on special, I will buy spares (eg chicken breasts/steaks) because I know we will eat them regularly

The Tupperware fridge smarts are great, my vegies stay crisp for a long time and at the end of the week, I plan to use up everything that is left in the first days if the following weeks meals. Obviously if we already have meat in the freezer, i plan to use up those as well. i also do the Aldi then green grocer and butcher and Asian grocer, and last are the major supermarkets. It works out to be the most cost effective way to shop for us

kemseyelle
I need a title!
I need a title!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Oh, that's a great idea! I think I'll try that. :)

GZIP: On | Load: 2.71