Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow
Topic Author

Healthy fry pans and baking dishes

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

So I am sick of buying scan pans and analon pans with so called non-stick surfaces that never stay non-stick.

I want to go back to basics and get something without dangerous chemicals that might leech into the food.

Does anyone know what is best?

kyliealysha
Mama on the Move
Mama on the Move

Re: Healthy fry pans and baking dishes

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 am

Stainless steel is probably the safest, but not non stick. I'd like to know too, I am over my "non stick" frypans

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 am

I know they wont be non-stick but I am ok with that. I will burn calories scrubbing the dishes :)

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 am

I use Circulon Commercial pans but made the big mistake of using spray oils on it. They're still ok, just not as good as they were originally. I have had the pans for about 5 years now and they're still good to use. I have had Circulon pans from their other ranges (ie not the Commercial range) and they have not been as good. The best thing about the pans is stovetop-to-oven cooking - the handles are metal so they go straight in for 2-3 mins to thoroughly cook panfried fish or meats etc. And I love my cast iron Dutch ovens for general stovetop-to-oven cooking.

Have you looked at copper pots, Nat? They are meant to have fantastic heat distribution. I was going to look into them when my pots and pans died but they're all still going strong!

As for baking trays - I always double line my trays with baking paper (not foil, don't like using it) - even when I am roasting. No scrubbing of pans required even for a roast.

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:34 am

I never used spray on oils and only ever had the heat at 50% and still they got ruined.

Great tip about the baking paper in the baking dish. Why have I never thought of that. Do the vegies stick to the paper? Do they still brown up ok?

Copper huh?? OK I will investigate.

Do you use the cast iron dutch oven for frying things like fried rice and spaghetti sauces?

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am

I do toss the vegies in a bit of olive oil before I roast though. My roast vegies never stick and yep, they're lovely and brown.

I use the Dutch oven for bolognaise sauces, pot roast (they never stick, I just soak overnight and clean with a scrubbing brush - it hasn't damaged the enamel inside surface on the pot) and casseroles.

For fried rice and all stirfries - I use my wok. My mum bought it for me and we seasoned it well before I started using it.

tinabeans
Bring me a shrubbery!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

We have a cast iron frypan, it's great. Because it's so old, all the oil we have used in it as slowly improved the surface.

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm

I've got Bessemer. They're really good. Nothing sticks on my roasting dish (less well used) and it doesn't take much to get it off the fry pan (very well used).

You'll probably need to use olive oil with your cooking if you get non stick. It's good for you anyway. It's not a bad fat.

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:04 pm

I have never thought to do fried rice in my wok. I should try it.

I actually have a scan pan wok which is still as good as new. I found out that they changed the way they make the surface some years ago. They took out one of the dangerous chemicals. I assume that is why the new ones don't last now. I guess I should change that too now but seems a shame when it is still so good.

So what is Bessemer made from BB?

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm

My wok is actually a traditional old fashioned wok! ie not one of those flat ones, no coatings, etc. I think it's made of carbon steel but I really have no idea - Mum bought it from one of those artisan wok shops from overseas where they still handhammer the shape of the wok! (Because of the round shape, I needed a cooktop with very good gas throughput, that the curved shape of the wok can touch with).

Where else do you do your stirfries Nat? Fried rice is just like a stirfry to me (just with rice added), I wouldn't think to use anything else other than a wok! :)

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Sorry, it's non stick. Was just adding in what I use.

I assume you're after something like this:

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Have you checked out the Choice reports? There may be some good info on there.

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 pm

C I do stir fry in the wok. I just like that flat surface area for the rice in the fry pan.

Choice report!! Good idea.

finallyfinished
Big Ted
Big Ted

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:53 pm

I have stainless steel. Just make sure you buy decent quality so they heat up evenly mymil bought me a cheap one and i threw it within a week lart of your meat was burnt while part was raw. The only down side is you have to use oils/tonnes of non stick spray otherwise its just a burnt mess.

As for cleaning if you put water with a bit of salt straight after you finish using it (while its still hot) clean up is so much easier.

~Shell~
Can't hand this one back
Can't hand this one back

Healthy fry pans and baking dishes

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 pm

As I said in the other thread, I have Tupperware stainless steel pots and frying pan and love them. If needed, I put baking paper on so they are non stick. Usually if I make eggs or something like that.

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Nah my analon is wrecked. :(

I bought a great sized baking dish from aldi but the black stuff is bubbling and peeling off.

How much are the Tupperware ones?

GeoLay
~ Twinsane ~
~ Twinsane ~

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:38 pm

I have read that washing it too soon, ESP in cooler water , after cooking and bubble and arp the non stick pans

I don't have reccs.. I have a few Aldo ones and so far so good. Most of my issues though are from dh scratching them with metal utensils and my mum scrubbing them clean with out using non scratch scourers!

kyliealysha
Mama on the Move
Mama on the Move

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm

GeoLay wrote:
I have read that washing it too soon, ESP in cooler water , after cooking and bubble and arp the non stick pans

I'd heard that too, but after doing some research I found the care instructions for mine say to do exactly that :confused: They are scanpans. :shrug:

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Noodles wrote:
Nah my analon is wrecked. :(

I bought a great sized baking dish from aldi but the black stuff is bubbling and peeling off.

Chuck it now if the non stick bit is bubbling!

finallyfinished wrote:
As for cleaning if you put water with a bit of salt straight after you finish using it (while its still hot) clean up is so much easier.

We do similar. If anything is ever stuck really hard, I just fill it a little bit with water and put in back on the gas. 5-10 mins later (while doing the washing up so I can watch that it doesn't boil dry), all the hard stuff has disintegrated and come loose and it's an easy wipe clean.

Naru
Tiggers are wonderful things
Tiggers are wonderful things

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I got sick of our frypans losing their non-stickness too. So last week I bought a $30 stainless steel frying pan from Aldi. So far, so good!

GZIP: On | Load: 4.53