GeoLay
~ Twinsane ~
~ Twinsane ~
Topic Author

Marinating chicken in buttermilk?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 pm

So I have seen a few cooking shows mention marinating chicken in buttermilk.. But I always miss the recipes etc

What cuts do they suggest marinating? And how are you supposed to cook it! I prefer to bake, but I seen a few recipes for southern fried chicken..

Have you used buttermilk to marinate? And did it make. Difference to the tenderness?

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Marinating chicken in buttermilk?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 pm

It is supposed to make it more tender. Nigella has a roast chicken recipe for a buttermilk marinated chicken - haven't tried this recipe though.

http://pickyin.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/ ... icken.html

I have used buttermilk to marinate chicken drumsticks (which I also added grated garlic, paprika and dried mixed herbs to), then patted dry the chicken, coated in seasoned flour, dipped it back into the buttermilk and coated with crushed cornflakes (sprayed it with a bit of oil, then oven baked it at 180 degrees). It was yummo but no more tender than the ones without marinating. That said, I don't think I marinated long enough - esp a cut with bone, I only marinated it for 3 hrs and I think it would have been more tender if I had marinated it overnight. They're good - like a healthier version of Southern fried chicken. :)

Inari
I Heart Handmade
I Heart Handmade

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:49 pm

I marinate sliced chicken breast in buttermilk with a little soy sauce & paprika overnight before crumbling in panko and shallow frying for chicken nuggets. I imagine they have about 1,000 calories but my goodness so delicious, tender & preservative free.

GeoLay
~ Twinsane ~
~ Twinsane ~
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:08 pm

So I have it cooking.. But all the yummy looking crust has come off.. Such a waste of time.. KFC would have been easier and cheaper!!

Why didn't it stick? I double dipped it, so buttermilk for 24hours, seasoned flour, buttermilk, seasoned flour.. I started frying it, and first side was fine and looked great, turned and all the crust is off.. Boo

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:18 pm

You can use buttermilk to make it stick as well - but I have only ever done that with oven baking GeoLay, rather than panfrying or deepfrying - sorry, no help to you!

GZIP: On | Load: 6.71