This meal will easily feed a family of four for under $5.
2 cups couscous
2 1/4 cups water
1 pinch powdered chicken stock (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
2-3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
1/4 cup currents
1/2 cup red capsicum, finely diced
1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted
1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
Lemon juice, to taste
Salt, to taste
1. Put couscous in a large mixing bowl.
2. Place the water and chicken stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour over the couscous, making sure it is completely wet. Allow to stand for 5-10mins.
3. Put the olive oil and butter into a frying pan. When the butter foams add the garlic, cumin and turmeric. Stir, then add the diced onion and cook until translucent.
4. When the couscous has absorbed all the liquid, fluff it up using two forks.
5. Stir the onion mixture through the couscous, then add the spring onions, currents, red capsicum and pine nuts.
6. Squeeze in lemon juice and add salt to taste.