aanika
Big Ted
Big Ted

Re: Cheap Family Meals??

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Okay - so the only things I know of that are that cheap: Asian food! Spring Rolls, Wonton Soups, Tom Yum Goong, Fried Rice, Samosas, and what not. I have made delcious little "money bags" and a home made Thai Dipping Sauce for like $3 including prawns etc lol. With some fried rice they kick serious butt :D A few asian cookbooks would serve her/you/anyone well! Especially those from genuine Asian Chefs, though the Womans' Day books have some great recipes, most of them arent that great. (asian style wise)

eml-mum
I need a title!
I need a title!

Cheap main meal ideas - got any idea's?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:44 am

Has anyone got any cheap original meal ideas to keep the budget down?

Any ideas would be great!

~peta~
Nappy Detective and your OSFM gal

Re: Cheap main meal ideas - got any idea's?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 am

* Homemade Pizzas
* Homemade hamburgers - some mince, carrot, zucchini, beef stock cube, worstershire sauce. Can bulk them up with soem brown rice.
* PKs Tuscan Chicken but cube teh chicken and add to pasta
* Any Mince and Pasta dish real eg: spag bol, lasagne
* Sausages and salad or any cheap meat and salad (cheep steak, rissoles etc)
* Any mince or sauasge dish really

Ummmm will look for specific recipes soon as Will is waking!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Cheap main meal ideas - got any idea's?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 am

Bulking out meat dishes with vegies, beans or rice. eg. In a taco or quesidilla, use half the quantity of mince to kidney beans. In a rissole, I bulk up using carrots and celery.
Cooking with cheap cuts of meat - just have to cook it slowly
Cook with lentils (in curries, or even a vegetarian lasagne)
Making patties with tinned tuna or salmon, mashed potato and frozen corn/peas makes for a very economical meal

~peta~

Re: Cheap and easy food..........

Fri May 01, 2009 9:05 pm

bumping for more ideas :D

~peta~

Re: Cheap and easy food.......... *merged*

Fri May 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Tuna and Tomato Pasta
Cook 1 bag of pasta. Drain.
Add 1 425g of Tuna and 1 jar of tomato pasta sauce.

Cost = $5.58 (plenty of leftovers)
Generic brand tuna ($2) and pasta ($0.59c) and a jar of sauce on special for around $1.99

Ooshy
The World is our Oyster
The World is our Oyster

Fri May 29, 2009 10:49 am

I've been using puff pastry with any leftovers to make some yummy savoury triangles. Cut pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place sml amount of leftover in middle and fold into triangle, seal with water and press edges with fork. Bake for 15 mins.

We had about one serving of lamb cassarole leftover but it made six triangles as you only need to use a tablespoon of so of the dish.

We baked them up and had them with vegetables a few nights later. Yummo......

If I had put that one dish in the fridge, it would have been eaten as an additional meal ( snack by Joel) or wasted. Instead this way we have three more meals out of it.

Can be used with lots of winter dishes I suspose.

I used the frozen pastry and it was very easy and quick.

HTH

LittleW
Purple Poet
Purple Poet

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:35 pm

Ooshy wrote:
I've been using puff pastry with any leftovers to make some yummy savoury triangles. Cut pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place sml amount of leftover in middle and fold into triangle, seal with water and press edges with fork. Bake for 15 mins.

We had about one serving of lamb cassarole leftover but it made six triangles as you only need to use a tablespoon of so of the dish.

We baked them up and had them with vegetables a few nights later. Yummo......

If I had put that one dish in the fridge, it would have been eaten as an additional meal ( snack by Joel) or wasted. Instead this way we have three more meals out of it.

Can be used with lots of winter dishes I suspose.

I used the frozen pastry and it was very easy and quick.

HTH

Great idea!!!

princess_sparkle*
Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows...
Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows...

Re: Cheap and easy food..........

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:07 pm

Alita wrote:
Dinner is over rated as a meal anyway, I'd be happy with a vegemite sandwich every night!

^^This sounds just like my DH! Shopping day is also known as breadroll night, where DH will eat vegemite breadrolls and a few glasses of milk for dinner, and I'll have a salad roll. God help me if I forget the rolls, it's his fave damn night of the week. :shrug:

We try and mix in about two cheapie meals during the week to keep the budget on track - favourites include:

Nachos - 1 bag corn chips, 1 jar pasta sauce, grated cheese and diced avocado

Jaffles - you know, toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwhiches

Spag Bol - mince, garlic, pasta, parsley and tin of tomato soup

Tomato soup and garlic bread

Potato bake

Shepards pie - mince, gravox, mashed potato, cheese

Homemade sausage rolls - tomato sauce, mince, puff pastry, milk wash

We keep tinned beetroot, frozen corn cobs, peas and potatoes (mash, baked in jackets, roasted) on hand for sidedishes to help bulk up any meals.

Snoodle
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:53 pm

I love steaming vegies and making a sandwich with them. I usually use potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, peas, etc. DH prefers it with toast. Very healthy! (steaming retains more of the vegetable's nutrients than boiling)

We make Tacos and Enchiladas with refried beans instead of beef mince. Works really well, and is a lot cheaper and healthier than beef mince (IMO) Refried beans are actually good (the name is misleading!)

Theres this dish I make every so often..and I've never actually sat down and written a recipe for it before :lol: It's just something I created and my husband ADORES it (I sort of wish I'd never made it, he keeps requesting it! :lol: ) So here goes..

1 can of 3 bean mix
1 can of chickpeas
1 can of brown lentils (or red, if you prefer)
1 can diced tomatoes (usually the kind with onion added)
vegie stock (prepared with the amount of water and stock according to packet directions...usually use about 2 cups worth)
Sanitarium vegie sausages curry flavour
curry powder (about 5 shakes of the bottle)
Italian herbs and spices (maybe 4 shakes)
paprika (2 shakes)
Cayenne pepper (one tiny shake!)

I always drain and rinse all the canned beans etc (not the tomatoes though) boil in the vegie stock according to preference of bean crunchiness (I usually do the chickpeas first) when the beans are about done, add tomatoes, simmer for a while (20 mins?) Then add chopped vegie sausages, cover and take off heat. I serve with mashed potatos, peas, corn, etc, but it would easily work with rice or pasta. Would even make a good pie filling :D

This dish is VERY healthy and cheap. Serves maybe 6? Depending on how much you eat...It reheats well too.

fee78a
No, Im not Dee from Neighbours
No, Im not Dee from Neighbours

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Eggplant and Beef Bolognaise

400g pappardelle ( i changed this to what i had, fettucine)
2tbs olive oil
1 eggplant chopped (sml cubes)
2 cloves garlic
500g beef mince
2x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup basil leaves
240g bocconcini, torn (i didnt have that, dh did, i just put a bit of normal grated cheese on top and it was very yum)

Cook pasta
meanwhile heat frypan, cook eggplant and garlic for 2 - 3mins or until golden
add mince, cook 5mins or until browned.
add tomatos and cook 5mins or until thickened
add the pasta and toss to combine
plate it up and add bocconcini and basil

serves 4

this was cheap, delish and very quick to make :thumb:

LittleW
Purple Poet
Purple Poet

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:11 pm

I was reading That's Life on the train and saw it had a "Meals under $5" section and I was really disappointed to see it was all PASTA. I am not a pasta fan - so tried to think of cheap lunches (or dinners) I have under $5.

I wanted to make a separate thread but figured it would get merged with this one.

Here are my cheap meals for under $5 (some are lunches - some could be lunch or dinner)

Pumpkin Soup (Cheap and pretty fast!)
Vita-Weats with avocado and tomato
Toasted Spaghetti (or baked beans) and Cheese Sandwiches
Tuna mornay with rice (or pasta)
Corn Fritters
Omlettes
Zuccini Slice and salad

I will try and think of more.

ATM Pumpkin soup is a fave!!

MrsCB
Formerly known as Future MrsB
Formerly known as Future MrsB

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:55 pm

I make mega chunky vege soup in a big pot - for around $9 - I buy two soup packs from Woolies, a pack of soup mix (lentils etc) and some diced ham from the deli. It makes around 10 serves, most of which I freeze for lunches.

Sheba
Formerly known as Georgia
Formerly known as Georgia

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Thought I'd add my recipe from tonights dinner.

Thai Green Curry
(makes 3 large serves for under $10)

Ingredients:
2 Tbspm of Green curry paste (jar from fridge - would make about 5 seperate dinners)
2 Tbspn of Fish Sauce
1-1.5 cups of Jasmine Rice (I have no idea how much rice is... not much!)
500g of frozen thai style veges ($3.20, even cheaper at aldis)
200ml of Coconut milk or cream ($1...ish)
400g of chicken breast/thigh fillet ($5-$6)

Method:
Put cute paste in pan and stir until fragrant and then add chicken until almost cooked and then throw in entire packet of veges, stirfy for about 2 mins and then add a cup of coconit milk and bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20mins. Then add fish sauce and continue to simmer for another 2 mins.

Serve with rice.

Tasted so good tonight just had to share cause it was such a lazy meal that tasted good and was cheap too! :thumb:

~peta~

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Just made this -

Bolognaise Gnocci Bake

300g of mince ($2.00)
1 jar of Tomato Pasta Sauce ($1.98
- cheaper if you made your own with diced tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs etc)

Cook up the mince til browned and add tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes. Place in a casserole dish. (At this stage you could also add loads of veg to bulk up the mince. Eg: mixed frozen veg, peas, corn, carrot, celery etc)

1 packet of Gnocci 500g ($3.00)

Cook Gnocchi according to packet instructions.

Place Gnocchi on top of mince mixtuire and topp with 1 cup of grated cheese (less then 50c) and bake until cheese is golden and melted.

Serve with steamed veg!

Total = approx $7.50 and will feed a family of 4-6 :thumb:

cannotthinkofname
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:33 pm

I make corn fritters whenever I can't be bothered cooking or have nothing else in the fridge
I large can of creamed corn, I egg, 1tsp of tumeric + enough SR flour until it is clumpy but not dry (I add fresh chopped coriander if I have it). I then fry in a little bit of oil (flip over and cook other side).

Egglplant parmigiana
saute an onion, add tin of chopped tomatoes, garlic, herbs and a pinch of sugar (conteracts the bitterness of the tomatoes) and cook for a bit.
Thinly slice eggplant (depending on whether you could be bothered, salt, rinse and grill - but it doesn't matter too much).
stack egglplant with spoonfuls of sauce, cover stack with rest of sauce, grated cheese and parmasen then bake at 180 for about half an hour.

Zucchini Slice
half kg of grated zucchini
3 eggs
150 g plain flour
150 g diced bacon
1 onion
170g grated parmasen

mix together (I add other veges to pad it out like a can of tinned corn) bake in oven for about 30min.
I make this in a muffin pan - It is great for lunched because it is great cold.

Sorry I can't be more specific with amounts - I am a by feel cook.

Formerly known as ktloos

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

FH works night so i often only have to cook for 1 and its so hard! Last night i couldn't be bothered cookings so just got a tin of flavoured tuna ( i used tomato and onion) added a table spoon or 2 of light sour cream, zapped it in the microwave and poured over pasta! It was DELISH!

Nikic84
Formerly known as nikolina84
Formerly known as nikolina84

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:34 pm

DH absolutely loves my very simple tuna bake and its great for kids too cos you can't taste the tuna in it if you really tear up the tuna into small pieces. It costs less than $10 to make and most of the ingredients I always have at home.

Pasta (any kind) about 3/4 of a packet
60g of unsalted butter
2 table spoons of flour
500ml milk
some shredded cheese
canned tuna (as much as you like)
green baby peas
some bread crumbs

Cook pasta
Melt butter in a saucepan
Add the 2 table spoons of flour and stir until it starts to froth a little bit
Remove from stove and add the milk constantly stirring
Put the milk mixture back on the stove and keep stirring for about 5 minutes or until it all thickens
Put in the baby peas, shredded cheese and tuna and combine well
Place the pasta and the cheese mixture into an oven safe dish (deep one is ideal)
Sprinkle a bit of bread crumbs and cheese over it and bake for about 20 - 30 min on 200 degrees

Voila :)

Lollipop
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:17 am

j.Bo wrote:
moochymoo wrote:
I thought a good thread would be a cheap meal thread, for the end of the week where you have nothing in the house and virtually no money.

My favourite is: Baked Bean Casserole

1 pack of snags any meat flavour
1 can of baked beans, the homebrand ones are fine for this
1 onion
Mixed vegetables, even a bag of cheapo frozen mixed veges
Gravy powder, mixed with a bit of water

Prick the snags and boil them until the skins fall off. Drain all the yuk out of the pan.
Chop the snags up and fry with the onion. You may like to add some herbs and spices ect.
Add a little water to the snags and onion, add the veges and baked beans and heat.
Then add the gravy and stir until it thickens.

You can serve it with some boiled noodles or mashed potato to make it go a bit further.

We had this for dinner tonight (I made it in the slow cooker) It was divine!!!

How long did it take in the slow cooker J.Bo? I want to make this today :thumb:

tinabeans
Bring me a shrubbery!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 am

We're having pita bread pizzas tonight- you can make these as expensive or as cheap as you like.

You need one pita bread for each adult, white or wholemeal doesn't matter, whatever you prefer.

We use pesto for the base but you could use pasta sauce. Then your favourite ingredients, and they take 10-15 minutes in the oven at 180C.

My favourite is feta cheese, artichokes and capsicum but you could have any cheeses, meats and vegies you like.

GZIP: On | Load: 4.05