galaxie
Out of this world!
Out of this world!

Re: Cheap and easy food..........

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:38 pm

We always love gravy/round/rump steak chopped up and a pack of frozen vegies in a slow cooker with water and whatever you fancy to flavour and thicken with gravy :D

Alita
I need a title!
I need a title!

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:42 pm

It sounds really basic, but pasta bake is my end of pay week favourite. Around $4 and it can do the two of us for 2 meals (with some salad).

We have "easy dinner" once a week, which usually means soup and toast/ beans on toast/ eggs on toast whihc are all really cheap and I don;t feel so bad about eating if we only do it once a week. Dinner is over rated as a meal anyway, I'd be happy with a vegemite sandwich every night!

Daisy
Sun. fun and grade one
Sun. fun and grade one

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:55 pm

our easy/ cheap meal is usually an omlette or spag bol

littleme
"Supermum" by request!
"Supermum" by request!

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:05 pm

we def do PASTA BAKE on the end of week nights when budget is tight, i always make sure we make enough for dinner and then lunch the next days, saves even more $$ as we wont buy lunch at work.

Another cheap one is frozen stir fry vegies and 2min noodles or hokkin noodles, most vegie packs have the flavor in them, u can add meatif uw ant but dont need too...with meat maybe $10-15 but without its under $10 easy as stir fry vegies about $3-4 and noodles anywere from $2-4 depending on ones u want!!!

My main think when i know its gonna be a tight week is to make sure dinners can assist lunches the next day. if not them we have bread and cheese and have toasted sandwiches 4 lunch!

HappyGirl
PartyGirl becomes HappyMum
PartyGirl becomes HappyMum

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:25 pm

We always have frozen vegies and frozen nuggets or crumbed fish in freezer, If we have no fresh food thats our standby and you get say 4 serves for $8.
Or if really lazy a frozen woollies pizza. I feel a lazy cooking day coming on tomorrow :)

cake_addict
'they tried to make me go to rehab...'
'they tried to make me go to rehab...'

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:49 pm

That Tortilla Pie recipe of Fee's is AMAZING...it's become a regular in our household! I love it!!

For cheap food, I've got two words for you...

ALDI BABY! :lol:

I get the little spinach & ricotta triangles and serve them with some vegies...they only cost like $3 for a pack of 12. They're so yum!

Tuna mornay would be my other cheapo meal.

Pepper
Formerly known as Simmy
Formerly known as Simmy

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:22 pm

Some more:
Chicken legs, mash and veg. I can get 2 kg for $6 at our market, which is about 10 drumsticks.

Pasta with passata(tomato puree), herbs and whatever veggies you have in. And bacon/ham/salami or whatever meat you want too. I do this to use up any sandwich meat we have left over.

Make your own pizza's with pita bread.

Salad with grilled chicken tenderloins, lettuce/rocket, tomato, cucumber, carrot etc and boiled egg if you want it.

I find cooking from scratch and not out of packets is generally much cheaper, provided you have a good stock of herbs and spices in.

brook
Brookworm
Brookworm

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:33 am

This one is easy and works out pretty cheap, if you're a compulsive meat eater you could probably add a little bit of chicken breast and it'd still not be too expensive to make.

Creamy spinach and Mushroom pasta.

Ingredients
300g dried penne or pasta of your choice (I use tri-coloured spirals)
2 tbsp olive oil
250g sliced mushrooms
1 tsp dried oregano
275ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp cream cheese
200g frozen spinach leaves
salt and pepper

cool pasta in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water, Drain, reserving 175ml of the cooling liquid

meanwhile heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes or until almost crisp, Stir in the oregano, stock and lemon juice and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half

stir in the cream cheese and spinach and cook over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the reserved cooking liquid, then the cooked pasta. Stir well, season to taste with salt and pepper and heat through gently before serving.

mum2girl
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:33 am

j.Bo wrote:
sounds kinda crappy when i actually write it, but my fave thing at the moment is a pack of 2min noodles cooked in a tin of soup. so basically i put the soup in a saucepan, break in a pkt of 2 min noodles (throw the flavour sachet away) and allow to simmer until noodles are cooked. then we have those small bake at home bread rolls with it. there you have a meal for 2 for under $5.

j.Bo......do you need to add any water? And how many packets of noodles for one can of soup?
Thanks!

indiepoogindie
It'srhiannon
It'srhiannon

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:47 am

I have a great easy casserole that you kinda chuck in any sauces you have in the fridge;

My Dad taught me this recipe when I was young and we have it all through winter.
It sounds like the weirdest combination but trust me- it's so yummy!

1tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 parsnip, chopped (optional)
2 carrots, sliced into thick pieces
1kg casserole beef, diced
2 1/2 cups beef stock
worchestichere sauce
tomato sauce
mango chutney
corn flour

Fry up onions and beef in the oil until beef is sealed.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add carrot and parsnip and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add beef stock, brng to the boil and simmer.
Add about 4 splashes of worchestichere sauce and 3 big squirts of tomato sauce.
Add 3 tablespoons of mango chutney.
Stir though and let mixture simmer for about 1- 11/2 hours until meat is really tender.
Mix cornflour with water and add to casserole to thicken.
Serve with vegies or on rice.

Bin
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Thai fish cakes (cheap version)
Tin tuna 400g
Sweet potato 300g
1/2 cup coriander chopped finley
80g green beans sliced finely
Red curry paste 1tbs
1 egg
fish sauce - 1tsp
castor sugar - 1tsp
lime juice - 1tsp
(serves 3-4) approx $3.50/serve including salad

Heat oven to 200
Peel and cut up sweet potato into rough chucks and microwave until soft. Mash. Let cool (cool enough for you to handle)
Mash up tuna.
Mix tuna with all other ingredients.
Make into patties and place on oven tray.
Cook for about 15 minutes, turning once during this time.
Serve with salad and some sweet chilli sauce.

Lollipop
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:09 pm

There have been heaps of great food suggested! Thanks ladies.

I have a cheapie to add. Its a simple one too.

Just cook up some mince and add a can or two (whatever you want depending on how many people you are feeding) of spaghetti and brand will do. You can have this on toast with a little sprinkle of cheese if you like. Its yum!

Sheba
Formerly known as Georgia

Cheap Family Meals??

Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Ladies - I was just after some suggestions.

My Mum has to babysit my niece (15) and nephew(17) for a week in their home while my sister and her DH go away.

Now my tight sister has only left mum $20 to cook them meals for an entire week but apparently has some mince (enough for one meal) in the freezer.

Does anyone have any ideas on some really cheap meals to cook them?? Spag bol is one but any others that will fill 2 teenagers and be enough for mum too?

Thanks!

natjade
Chatty Natty
Chatty Natty

Re: Cheap Family Meals??

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:01 pm

OMG! Really? $20 isn't going to go far!

Maybe things like - curried sausages & mash, stir fries, pasta - they can be put together really cheep as they don't require alot of meat?

$20 for the week! Cheese on toast might be an option also!

Sheba

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:04 pm

I know I have no idea what she was thinking! My mum has to make lunches with that too!! :shock:

Obviously mum is gonna have to spend more than that but the less the better I say!

~Karli~
My Pink Army - Jordy & Tahli
My Pink Army - Jordy & Tahli

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm

I made this for Jordyn, but both DH and I said it would be good enough for us if we can't be bothered cooking one night...

Just boil up some pasta
Grate a heap of cheese (don't be shy with the cheese, it makes the taste)
Add a cup of pasta sauce...(not to much, as you don't want to overdo the tomato taste. and leaves some for another meal)
If she has some veggies, steam or boil them up
Mix through everything in the pasta while on the stove
And your done!!

It's surprislingly nice!!!!

Another suggestion is hamburgers with egg, and lettuce, and tomato on a roll....teens will love it!

brook
Brookworm
Brookworm

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:20 pm

$20 for two teenagers for a week???

Tacos can be pretty cheap - I normally use half the 'suggested' amount of meat and throw in a can of kidney beans and some frozen peas/corn/carrot mix.

veggie pie - especially if you already have pastry in the freezer. I use whatever veggies I have in the fridge/pantry (it seriously doesn't matter although root vegies are usually cheapest) plus a handful of mushrooms, cook it all up with some veggie stock, garlic, soy sauce & whatever herbs & spices you like until most of the liquid has gone and just before you cover it with pastry and put it in the oven I put some cheese slices or grated cheese over the top - the cheese melts down through the veggies as it cooks and makes it taste great.

Sheba

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:33 pm

:lol:

I know its not like she is poor either. Well she has to watch her pennies but so does nearly everyone!

No ever since I can remember my sisters pantry has always been empty. Seriously I think the kids have 2 minute noodles for dinner regularly! My sister is really lazy with cooking. Which is a shame cause she is sooooo good at it!

Sheba

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm

j.Bo wrote:
winter time i get a tin of soup and cook a packet of 2 min noodles to mix thru it. that with a slice of bread is very filling and all for less than $4

Ooo that sounds good. What soup??

Brook: that pie sounds yum! I might make that for myself!

brook
Brookworm
Brookworm

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:05 pm

Georgia wrote:
j.Bo wrote:
winter time i get a tin of soup and cook a packet of 2 min noodles to mix thru it. that with a slice of bread is very filling and all for less than $4

Ooo that sounds good. What soup??

Brook: that pie sounds yum! I might make that for myself!

Its a favourite of Phils as well, mind you if he had his way I'd be cooking different types of pie for every dinner :lol:

Anything with Tuna is usually pretty cheap - any sort of tuna pasta or for something really cheap, easy and filling cook a couple of packets of 2 minute noodles (without the flavouring) and stir through a can or two of those flavoured tuna's you can buy.

I dunno homemade hamburgers and pizza I find reasonably cheap to make but that could have a lot to do with feeding toddlers (who will have half a burger each or a slice of pizza and some salad) rather than teenagers who need to eat a lot more.
Last edited by brook on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GZIP: On | Load: 2.75