Big Ted

Re: Cheap and easy food.......... *merged*

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Cabbage and Bacon Rolls

1/2 cabbage (Shredded) you can use a whole cabbage if you like
4-6 bacon rashers (rind off)
pepper
Puff Pastry

Dice the bacon &cook in a fry pan, add the cabbage and cook until cabbage is completely cooked
Add pepper to taste
Let the mixture cool, slice the puff pasty in half, add Cabbage Mixture at the end and then roll (it is best if they turn out more like pillows in stead off a roll)

prick the pastry and use a fork to squash the edges and push with your fingers, Then glaze with the milk all over the top of the rolls.

Then you are ready to put the into the oven....cook until golden brown

Normally makes 12 rolls

I am not a fan of cabbage by its self, actually this is the only way other than coleslaw that i eat it
Just remember what cabbage does to your body the next day ifykwim ;-)

kukula
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am

our leftovers at the end of the week meal is 'filo's'
-cook any vegies/meat left in the fridge
-mix with cheese (or sour cream)
-wrap in filo pastry and bake for 20 mins.

also anything in the slow cooker is cheap and easy. I just use whatever cut of meat is cheapest at the butcher, coat it in flour and brown it, then throw it in the slowcooker with whatever vegies are lying around, plus stock and herbs. we mix the left overs through pasta and make pasta bake, or in toasted sandwiches.

brook
Brookworm
Brookworm

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 am

kukula wrote:
our leftovers at the end of the week meal is 'filo's'
-cook any vegies/meat left in the fridge
-mix with cheese (or sour cream)
-wrap in filo pastry and bake for 20 mins.

also anything in the slow cooker is cheap and easy. I just use whatever cut of meat is cheapest at the butcher, coat it in flour and brown it, then throw it in the slowcooker with whatever vegies are lying around, plus stock and herbs. we mix the left overs through pasta and make pasta bake, or in toasted sandwiches.

When I had an oven 'leftover pasties' were a staple here too.

Now its 'leftover toasted sandwiches :lol:

rose by no other
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:52 am

Thought I would add Bacon and Egg Pie

5 eggs
bacon ( I have been using bacon bits already cut up)
and shedder cheese
1 sheet of pastry
Combine all and cook for 30 mins I serve this with vegies normally

kukula
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 pm

fried rice is good too; just cook up a batch of rice, leave it in the fridge over night to dry out.
stir fry any veg/meat/eggs that are in the fridge with oriental seasoning, add rice.

K-Dizz
Formerly known as kystar2
Formerly known as kystar2

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Our cheap & Easy meal is Chicken Pastry:
Serves 1
1 Puff Pastry Sheet
1 Chicken Breast Fillet (or Thigh)
2 slices of Plastic Cheese
1 rasher shortcut rindless Bacon
1 Mushroom

Wrap all ingredients in the pastry (like a present) and cook in the oven for 25 - 30 mins at 180c

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Cheap and easy food..........

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 pm

brook wrote:
Creamy spinach and Mushroom pasta.

Ingredients
300g dried penne or pasta of your choice (I use tri-coloured spirals)
2 tbsp olive oil
250g sliced mushrooms
1 tsp dried oregano
275ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp cream cheese
200g frozen spinach leaves
salt and pepper

cool pasta in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water, Drain, reserving 175ml of the cooling liquid

meanwhile heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes or until almost crisp, Stir in the oregano, stock and lemon juice and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half

stir in the cream cheese and spinach and cook over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the reserved cooking liquid, then the cooked pasta. Stir well, season to taste with salt and pepper and heat through gently before serving.

I'm cooking this now. Smells nice!

hillbilly girl
Mum of all trades
Mum of all trades

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm

kukula wrote:
fried rice is good too; just cook up a batch of rice, leave it in the fridge over night to dry out.
stir fry any veg/meat/eggs that are in the fridge with oriental seasoning, add rice.

we regularly have fried rice with leftovers - its different every time :lol:

moochymoo
Moochymoo lost a poo!
Moochymoo lost a poo!
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Porcupine meatballs are pretty cheap.
500gm mince
1/4 cup raw rice (do not cook)
1/2 an onion diced finely
can of tomato soup or make your own sauce using beef stock, garlic, bbq sauce, black bean paste or anything really......

I also cover the meatballs with frozen mixed veges before cooking so it is a complete meal. You can also serve with mash to make it go even further.

Cup a bulky soup (I usually have this for lunch at work)
1 single serve packet cup a soup
1 packet crushed 2 minute noodles (use about 1/4 of the pack per packet of cup a soup)

Put the dry powdered soup in your cup.
Add the dry noodles.
Fill the cup with water.
Put a plate over the top to seal the steam in.
Wait 4 minutes.
Eat.

Vege soup
Make some stock and add to pot. 2 litres would be ideal.
Add any veges you have, even frozen ones if thats all youve got.
Add at least 1 potato. Add "soup mix", the lentily type one.
Boil for ages and ages and ages.
Puree and enjoy with some bread. The potato dulls the flavour of all the veges so kids love it too.

Instant rice as a dinner
1 packet chicken and veges continental rice type thing
Cup of frozen mixed veges
2 or 3 slices of cheese
2 chicken burger patties, or sausage, or leftover cooked chook

Cook the meat first.
Mix the packet mix with veges and cook as directed. I found cooking for half the time on medium heat in microwave for 5 minutes and then putting it on full heat for the full cooking period leaves you with softer more moist rice.
Once its all cooked, chop the meat up and put it in with the rice mix, break up the cheese and throw it in then micro for a few minutes more to melt the cheese.

brook
Brookworm
Brookworm

Re: Cheap and easy food..........

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Blue Bell wrote:
I'm cooking this now. Smells nice!

I haven't made this in so long I'd forgotten about it! Phil wasn't a huge fan so I stopped making it as much.

I'm going to add it to the list for next week when he's in Melbourne :D

Mango
Love and Light
Love and Light

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Some great ideas her bumping so I can find it later

Roxy76
Formerly known as ~Nat~
Formerly known as ~Nat~

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:49 pm

I just fed the family on 100g chicken mince and made rissoles/patties with them - mixed in an egg, grated zucchini, grated carrot, breadcrumbs, tomato, sauce, bbq sauce, maple syrup, mixed herbs - add whatever you like. Made 10 of them. You could bulk with more veges or even some lentils/chickpeas too and make more patties. Served it with mash, steamed veges and gravy. Was a hit!!

Wantabub
Mama Bear
Mama Bear

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Our all time favourite meal is one of our cheapest. Its easy to make but does require me to stay at home.

Its Smokey Marinade spare ribs
I buy plain spare ribs from the meat centre which costs about $6-8 (I go for the really big spare ribs) I've brough alot in the past but only the big chubby ones work how I like them. The ones from the supermarket and even some butchers don't have the same effect. There are 6 or 7 in a pack.

Masterfoods Smokey BBQ Marinade.

Cooks for 2.5hrs. I generously coat the meat with the Marinade. Cover baking dish with foil and cook at 150degrees fan forced. After 1 hr drain the juices out of the dish and baste the ribs (both sides) with more Marinade. After 1hr again baste a 3rd time. Cook again half uncovered for remaining 30mins-1hr and then serve with hot chips or a salad or both. Just devine. When ever I make them for other things besides my family I have people ask me how do I do them.

Another cheap one for us is a family vegie pie (costs $3 its a no frills brand) then serve it with vegies.

Spag bol, shepherds pie, butter chicken and beef strog are also family favourites as well as macaroni cheese pasta (my 10yr old makes this one) the typical home made rissoles and snags with onion and gravy.

tinabeans
Bring me a shrubbery!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 am

made this last night with skim milk, was really yum

quick chocolate pudding http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... e-038.html
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp corn flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

STEP 1: In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, and corn starch. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps. Whisk in the milk until everything is evenly mixed.

STEP 2: Microwave the mixture on high for three minutes. Remove the bowl and give it a good stir. Microwave for one minute more, then whisk again. Continue to microwave and stir at one minute intervals until the pudding has thickened (about 3-5 cycles of cooking/stirring).

STEP 3: Stir in the vanilla extract. Either serve warm or refrigerate until chilled. Press plastic wrap over the surface of the pudding before refrigerating to prevent the formation of a thick skin.

mrs wifely
Little Ted
Little Ted

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Loving these ideas ladies. =D> Bravo on such creative ways to save some money every meal! Thank you so much! Keep them coming

kookymooky
Formerly known as meowsy
Formerly known as meowsy

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 pm

I've read this whole thread and it has inspired me to try a few of these quick easy meals! i need some good slow cooker recipes, often I cook casseroles in the slow cooker and they end up a bit tasteless. Anyone got any tips to address this?

julz-maree
Tassie Devil
Tassie Devil

Cheap and easy food.......... *merged*

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 pm

I haven't read all the thread but those mai goreng noodles are so yummy with some corn, fried egg, carrot, capsicum, celery etc add some chicken stir fry that all up add the noodles (cooked) and the sachets of flavour add a bit of extra soy sauce and yummy tastes like nasi goreng noodles from the noodle shop

brook
Brookworm
Brookworm

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 pm

meowsy wrote:
I've read this whole thread and it has inspired me to try a few of these quick easy meals! i need some good slow cooker recipes, often I cook casseroles in the slow cooker and they end up a bit tasteless. Anyone got any tips to address this?

Don't forget to add salt. I don't usually cook with much salt so it tends to be something I forget but slow cooker casseroles really need it

pollylou
Polly Wants A Cracker
Polly Wants A Cracker

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Tonight I made a very very simple spaghetti and meatballs. Bought the meatballs premade from the supermarket and just added them to a tomato sauce which I made out of diced tomatoes, garlic, herbs and seasoning (Sugar, salt, and a little worsterchire).

It took me 5 minutes and more importantly the kids loved it.

GZIP: On | Load: 3.84