Alibubba
This girl is all out of Milo!
This girl is all out of Milo!
Topic Author

Re: Your parenting style?

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I try and find what the triggers ate for all the negative behaviors. So if they are tired and grotty I try to lessen activity and have early night's. Do the toys need changing in the room, hide some annoying ones and get others out cupboard. Why am I shouting, why not deep breaths and walk over and talk, less energy used I find. I also find getting to bed early helps me, also trying really hard to all eat together. All of it sounds easy but its not but its helping. Oh and reminding myself to get involved in their play, bugger the cleaning.

kermit
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:37 pm

You're too hard on yourself K! Sleep deprivation doesn't help anyone's patience and your boys are super smart, they know how exactly to push your buttons.

I'm a strict parent, I have rules that Jack knows are definitely not to be broken, but at the same time I am quite relaxed about some things (making a huge mess etc is ok but the rule is he has to clean up).

I guess I can be quite scary though because I can make my point or get my way through either just changing the tone of my voice or even just giving a certain look. Yelling doesn't work with him at all.

If you want to try and change it up, maybe get super quiet with them and see how it goes, might scare them into doing the right thing? :lol:

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Formerly known as wacountrybride

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:25 am

I'm a strict parent and when I'm stressed/busy/tired I yell too much. My daughter knows how to push my buttons but at the same time she's the sweetest little angel and she's rarely deliberately naughty so I try really hard not to yell. Lately when I tell her off she's been dropping her head and getting quite upset.

On the flip side, I give and ask for lots of kisses and hugs and I tell my kids I love them multiple times a day. I try to give my full attention when we are playing together and I give lots of praise.

So you could say...I'm Jekyll & Hyde :lol:

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Your parenting style?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I yell too much... They push my buttons, especially at bed time.

We spent the whole of last school holidays away on a camping holiday, it was the best thing EVER! We found that it really 'reset' us all. Ollie had been extremely challenging prior to this, in a major way and DH especially wasn't handling it well and therefore I was stressed more etc etc etc...
It was so chilled out and there was no stress, no rushing and just together time. We allowed them to be more independent and they thrived. Since we got home they're both still so good! It was just what we needed.

So since then I'm a lot easier on them and it's a happier household that's for sure!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 pm

I am shouting a lot less now. It seems to get easier as A gets older. I mean - he can still be an annoying, whingy almost 5 year old nboy - but I find if I yell less, he responds better. A craves for praise and for 'being a good boy' so I try very hard to focus on the positives. I found a traffic light style reward chart (it has visual cues, he likes going to green squares for being good) which is working so well, as is giving him undivided attention at times of the day and doing stuff with him that he is interested in (it helps that he is interested in stuff I like to do like growing vegies, drawing, cooking etc). I should give him more credit - he really is growing up into an articulate, thoughtful little boy.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Your parenting style?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes, craving praise and responding better to positive reinforcement! My boys all over! They are a product of our parenting more times than not!

dolphin
water baby
water baby

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 am

Umm survival style? :oops:

I have to be honest, I really cannot cope being a single Mum. I'm tired and I'm over it!

Amber is a complete nightmare of a child. Within 3 seconds of opening my eyes I'm in tantrum city and it lasts all day long if she's not getting "yes Amber". I just try to minimise it as much as possible so I don't completely lose my sh*t!

I've done triple p etc. but it doesn't really help when its all day every day 24/7 on your own!

And poor baden just lives through all the turmoil. (And sometimes he contributes too!).

Motherhood, yay! :confused:

Bubbles
Big Ted
Big Ted

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:04 am

I'm a pretty patient person in general and I don't yell (haven't ever fought with DH with raised voices) and so that's just how I parent too - because it's who's I am lol. Our DS fairly easy going and responds best to praise and knowing expectations / consequences. He's certainly not an angel but a warning is usually enough. DD has a completely different personality however so will be interesting to see how we cope / adapt as she gets older!

The biggest thing for me is picking my battles! Deciding what is and isn't worth it.

~MTM~
Parenting on a wing and a prayer
Parenting on a wing and a prayer

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:37 am

I don't even have one. I just get through the day as required. In the mornings we have a very tight schedule which is

6:25 - wake the kids, dress, make lunches, pack bags
6:55 - leave to drop N off at daycare
7:00 - sign N into daycare, run to the care
7:05 - sign L into before school care
7:07 - leave to get to my parents place
7:30 - drop C off at my parents without getting out of the car, leave for work
8:25 - arrive at work in time to check my emails and get a bed list for the ward
8:30 - bed meeting

If there's any kids dawdling then I get incredibly irritated.

But mostly I am too tired to yell that much anymore

GZIP: On | Load: 3.06