Tamdave
Spreading the good stuff
Spreading the good stuff
Topic Author

Other people's kids

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am

I looked after a friends daughter this morning before school.
It really made me look at what kind of a parent I am.
This girl was just silly and downright dangerous in my mind
Her parents raise her with the moral "let kids be kids"
No boundaries, do what they want...
Chocolate for breakfast, ice coffee...
Just not the way I parent

Bad influence on Stacey-Lee
They were doing things that Stacey-Lee knows better not to do....

Playing with the oven
Standing on a rocking horse to get something off a high shelf...
Running around the house...
Spilling a drink and then lying about what happened- I saw what happened- and she was jus being silly borderline stupidity
When it came time to drop the girls at school, walking across the road holding hands. I said "stop" at the curb coz there was a car coming, Stacey-Lee stopped with me but this girl took a few more steps, making me grab her and pull her back so she wouldn't get hit by the car, she heard me say it coz she smiled when I pulled her back... Like a snide/ cheeky smile...

All these things my girl has never and would never do...

Am I too strict on my daughter or is this girl just a result of her parents way of parenting....

Cherry
Peace, Love & Mung Beans
Peace, Love & Mung Beans

Re: Other people's kids

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am

Each to their own BUT oh my goodness me! I understand the whole let kids be kids thing but that's taking it it too far.
You need to set boundaries in order to keep them safe! And as for chocolate and coffee???
I'm strict with that kind of thing and my daughter is just fine, no need to raise little hooligans! lol

You are doing just fine Tam, keep raising your child as you are.

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I have never been a kid person. I only really like my own kids and have very little patience for other kids unless they have very well mannered.
I think I am that scarey adult that other kids are scared of and that suits me :thumb:

If I am minding other peoples kids they don't get special treatment. They follow my house rules or i give them a talking to.

~loopy1~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Cherry wrote:
Each to their own BUT oh my goodness me! I understand the whole let kids be kids thing but that's taking it it too far.
You need to set boundaries in order to keep them safe! And as for chocolate and coffee???
I'm strict with that kind of thing and my daughter is just fine, no need to raise little hooligans! lol

You are doing just fine Tam, keep raising your child as you are.

Agree with this. You need boundaries so kids can be kids

Princess AJ
Living my dream
Living my dream

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Kids need boundaries. Giving them boundaries doesn't kill their spirit like some people seem to think it does. Boundaries make them feel secure, as well as teaching them actions & consequences, manners, respect.... I could go on......

I'm all for letting kids be kids - but not to that extent!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Noodles wrote:
I have never been a kid person. I only really like my own kids and have very little patience for other kids unless they have very well mannered.
I think I am that scarey adult that other kids are scared of and that suits me :thumb:

If I am minding other peoples kids they don't get special treatment. They follow my house rules or i give them a talking to.

Ditto all this - I mind a little girl every Monday and she goes by my house rules. Her mum minds A every Thu and he knows that he has to abide by her house rules.

I am all for kids being kids, but I also believe that boundaries help them grow as people by teaching them respect and empathy. If my kids grow up and place value on how they feel and how others feel, then I've done the right thing by them.

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Formerly known as wacountrybride

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Noodles wrote:

This is me.

~Emmylou~
Monster Madness
Monster Madness

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 pm

^^ same

Megs
Formerly known as Megs4780
Formerly known as Megs4780

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 am

I don't think anyone does their child a favour by not setting boundaries. Part of parenting is to equip kids to be adults. You can certainly still have fun with reasonable boundaries and rules. I think you are on the right track :-)

GZIP: On | Load: 1.64