Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

How can I convince him the top bunk is great? upd end of 1

Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 am

So as the title would suggest, I'm desperate here and need to convince one of my boys that top bunk is awesome!!!

We went from 2 single beds in their room to having a tri bunk and I love it :lol: It's awesome having more room in the room and also having that double bed for visitors etc.

Charlie loved the idea and was excited about top bunk (he's 6 now, 5 when we got them), but the reality of it was far different... He was too scared to sleep up there... He whinged about nightmares and all sorts of BS. The bed rail I use is one of the ones you use for toddlers when they move to a big bed, I've had him lie against it, roll into it etc etc to show that he cannot fall out. But he still doesn't like it :( Oh and I've put up a curtain to make it like a fort too. He sleeps there from time to time, but not consistently. They tend to sleep on the bottom bunk together!

Now I don't mind them sharing the bottom bunk, but they carry on and take ages to get to sleep and play and annoy each other etc..

Yesterday Charlie and I discussed it and he definately doesn't want top bunk, so then I tried to convince Ollie (4) just how awesome it is... He slept there last night but this morning he's back to whingeing about 'why can't we have the old beds back'...

So today, somehow I have to make it super awesome to convince Ollie that it's the best bed ever and he really needs to sleep up there haha.

Please please please help me, no matter how little or silly it sounds, I want to hear it :D

The only thing I can think of to do is get him to choose some photos to print off and put up some photos on the wall up there.

Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by Happy Mummy on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bee
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: How can I convince him the top bunk is great? I'm desperate!

Mon May 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Could you get one of those little torches with the interchangeable caps (the ones that project little pictures when you shine them) for him to play with in bed - he could shine pictures onto the ceiling? Make it so that only the person who sleeps on the top bunk gets to play with it? Just a thought.

Alibubba
This girl is all out of Milo!

Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm going to be honest here cause I know you can take it lol but honestly I wouldn't be pushing the whole bunk thing if they are hesitant. I was totally and still am scared of top bunk beds so not a fan of them so yes I have biased opinion lol. I reckon if they are happy to sleep together then just try new strategies to get them to settle better together. Could they go to bed separately so one is settled then the other sneaks in? Or have rewards chart if they are good/evil then implement rewards or punishments. Maybe in time one of them will want to move to the top. I just don't blame them for wanting to sleep together, how sweet of them :wub:

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Haha Annie, yes I can handle it :D The thing is, they've never been adamant that they're not getting up there, just that they'd rather have beds next to each other. There doesn't seem to be a fear and I've never 'made' either of them sleep up there, infact Charlie often sleeps in the spare room so he can be away from Ollie, but not on top bunk, then the next night he'll sleep up top! It's quite odd. Though with Charlie of course I'd understand if he had some irrational fear and it kind of flared up when he's feeling fragile and when he's going well he isn't scared. I know you'll know what I mean :lol:

I mainly want them to choose a bed so when they're mucking up I can say 'right get in your own beds', but if they don't have their own it's a PITA. I'm going to be moving rooms over the next 2 weeks and changing things around, so Charlie might just claim the spare bed for those times that we tell them to 'get in their own beds' if my last ditch effort doesn't work and then the top bunk can just remain empty and they can sleep together forever :) They're so sweet :)

I've made up a rewards chart too and will start that tonight, I'll be asking that they stay in their own beds, Ollie up top and Charlie down below, so we'll see how that works. I wont push it if Olls really gets upset by it though.

That's a good idea Bee, I might grab one next time I'm in town :)

Thanks ladies :4u:

Inari
I Heart Handmade
I Heart Handmade

Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm

I don't know how helpful I can be as DS was pumped about their beds and the top bunk. The one thing we did was that DH has a bar stool he sits in to read him stories and I guess we spent ages shopping for bunks so he choose it.

Once the ship has sailed on introducing it I don't think I'd push them to sleep there if they were scared, maybe, and this may seem weird, but Id sleep in it myself for a few nights and see if that changed anything with how it was viewed. Guess that depends on how they would react to you being in the room and how they'd react to you stopping being there after a few nights....

I bought our bunks off gumtree after their first owners did the same thing, the 2 kids were sleeping together, and it's just a single not a double underneath.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks Inari. I like the idea of sleeping up there if need be!

I didn't end up talking to Ollie about it today as I didn't want to pressure him. But just before bed I said 'Oh I haven't put your photos on the wall of top bunk' and he chose some and didn't say anything about not going up there. He sat up with me and a pile of photos and some little balsa wood vehicle shapes that I raided from my scrapbooking stuff and a wad of blutac. We put them all up and talked about how awesome it was up there and he agreed.
I've also asked him if he's happy getting up and down the way he does and he said he is. \

Oh and I also did a rewards chart for staying in their beds all night, which I didn't go into too much info with them, but they think it's because they come into our bed, but it's really to keep him in the bunk :lol:

I'm not going to make more of a deal about it tonight, we'll just see how we go!

I'll update you all tomorrow :D

Thanks again!

~Karli~
My Pink Army - Jordy & Tahli
My Pink Army - Jordy & Tahli

Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm

If you can't convince him to sleep up there, bring the mattress onto the floor for the short term. Means they are still next to each other, but not touching and playing up before sleep time!

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:54 am

Totally forgot to come back and update this!

I didn't make too big a deal of it, I printed off photos and we stuck them on the wall and roof (he wanted some on the roof) and he got a funky new torch. Oh I also did a rewards chart for staying in your bed all night - Ollie gets in our bed pretty much every night, so I made it more about not coming into our bed rather than it being about top bunk. He has had a couple of nights where he's stayed there all night :)

The first couple of nights that he was up there after this first post he was OK with it, but wasn't super keen. Now he doesn't even say anything about it, he just gets up there without a fuss and we don't talk about it. It's just his bed now!

Thanks ladies of M :4u:

Bee
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Great to hear!

Megs
Formerly known as Megs4780
Formerly known as Megs4780

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Yay, love it when they just start doing it without the drama!

Alibubba

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Good news!

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 am

:update:

I cannot believe this............

Last night Charlie said 'That bed looks great, can I sleep up there' talking about top bunk! Remembering that this whole thing started because he refused to sleep up there anymore! I told him that no he'd made his decision and that bottom bunk was his now. He said he'd ask Ollie to swap, I reminded him that Jessi (the dog) wont be able to sleep up top with him and he was still fine with it and asked Ollie to swap.
Oll's said yes and now we're back to the way it always was!!

Ollie actually said 'Thanks Mum' and hugged me when I was putting his jammies on as he's really happy to be back down the bottom!

I'm not sure what the change was with Charlie, I'd made the bed with a different blanket on top, but nothing else had changed.... He just suddenly liked the look of it!!

Oh and Jessi did sleep up on top bunk all night with him :lol:

Kizzy
I need a title!
I need a title!

How can I convince him the top bunk is great? upd end of 1

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:07 am

Glad they are both happy :-)

GZIP: On | Load: 2.41