Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Do your DH make your kids eat gross stuff?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Actually that title might be a bit harsh :lol: not 'make' but feed your kids stuff that you think is gross?

My DH gives the kids promite, I think it's repulsive and it's also a PITA as now they don't like vegemite and over the years when they go places how hard is it going to be to get a promite sambo? :lol:

Charlie also eats eggs on promite toast - this is just gross and it's all DH's fault!

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Do your DH make your kids eat gross stuff?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 pm

No, I can't think of anything.

But then again - I eat things people consider pretty gross :lol: Among them (because this is the kind of thing I grew up with): green mangos dipped in soy sauce, sugar, chillies and shrimp paste, fermented vegetables like mustard leaves in brine/vinegar, kimchi, etc

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Promite is AWESOME!!!!

I don't think he does. Mind you I am not fussy with food so not much make me queasy.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!
Topic Author

Do your DH make your kids eat gross stuff?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Noodles wrote:
Promite is AWESOME!!!!

I don't think he does. Mind you I am not fussy with food so not much make me queasy.

Noooooooooo :rofl:
I can't even handle the smell haha I'm a vegemite girl :)

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:55 pm

It's just vegie paste. Better than yeast extract. Where the hell does yeast come from anyway???

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:56 pm

I think it's a byproduct of beer production Nat

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:59 pm

I thought they added into beer first though. I am sure it is an ingredient.
I remember going to Budweiser beer school and they made us learn the 5 ingredients: water, hops, yeast, rice and something...

Noodles
Go with the flow
Go with the flow

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Just goggled it

Lots of the yeast and bacteria used in food manufacture were originally human skin flora. Which makes sense, since humans would be around to infect the first prototypes of these products. The first yogurt happened when somebody accidently stuck his thumb in the milk and then forgetfully let it sit out for a few days. He was probably pretty hungry or he wouldn't have tried to eat the stuff.

Many other products used wild yeast. The first alcoholic beverages were innoculated with airborne yeast spores. If you kept making the same beverage in the same place you'd tend to get the same yeasts. Eventually people figured out that the cloudy junk at the bottom of the wine or beer could be purposefully added to the malt/mash in order to get better quality control. I've made hard apple cider using wild yeast. In fact, if you use an old fashioned cider press it is almost impossible to prevent fermentation unless you pastuerize the juice.

But yeast cultures can give you more control over the product. Some yeast strains are more hardy and can withstand more alcohol before they die. If you use those you get a more potent beverage. Or maybe you want a sweeter beverage and use a different strain. If you use wild yeast you never know what you are going to get except through trial and error.

Bread yeast is the same. Wild yeasts would live in bakeries and the dough would get innoculated without anyone knowing why. Then someone figured out that they could save some old dough and purposefully innoculate the new dough. If you do this you can get much faster yeast growth, you can control the exact strain of yeast you use, and have more control over the bread you make.

Nowadays they grow yeast in big industrial vats then dry it out so it forms spores and sell it to consumers or food manufacturers. The only new step is intentionally drying and ensporulating the yeast so it can be stored longer.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I grew up with Marmite. Does that taste like Promite? Mind you, I also loved Bovril as a kid!

We only have Vegemite in our house.

BA1977
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm

We eat promite and Vegemite. Promite has always been available in the 4 different states I've lived in...

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:09 pm

We eat Vegemite (as in me. DH hates it, DS tolerates it every now and then and DD won't have a bar of it). I do like Marmite or Promite though. Haven't had it since I was a kid. Not sure which one I had though. Are they similar?

As for OP, no I don't think so. We just eat 'average' kind of meals!

kyliealysha
Mama on the Move
Mama on the Move

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Yep. mangoes, fish, prawns, octopus *shudder* :lol:

I support it though, I would rather they weren't fussy like me

kyliealysha
Mama on the Move
Mama on the Move

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Sunshine wrote:
kyliealysha wrote:
Yep. mangoes, fish, prawns, octopus *shudder* :lol:

That's not gross stuff though. I didn't count things like that - things that I don't like as I know lots of other people like them. My kids like avocado and they also like prawns - things I despise!

Yeah, sorry It was a joke :) I find them gross but I know they probably aren't :lol:

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:01 am

My inlaws would be shocked at what I feed my kids. Tonight they had chicken crumbed with pistachios and steamed veg. They've had Thai green curry, ginger chicken, beef curries and steamed fish, rice and veg.

My mil's idea of a kids meal is mash, gravy, peas and sausages. Nothing wrong with that every now and then...not twice a week though. They probably think I feed my kids gross/abnormal foods :lol:

Hubby and I can't understand people not wanting to try new foods. We think food is such an experience and hopefully our kids will feel the same.

wacountrymum

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:02 am

I should add, there are only two things I can't stomach...pea and ham soup and corned beef. I think it's the saltiness that I really dislike.

Alibubba
This girl is all out of Milo!
This girl is all out of Milo!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 am

Cream cheese on toast make me want to puke but Ali loves it!

GZIP: On | Load: 5.44