kathya
I don't need a puffer ... I am just laughing
Topic Author

How did you choose guardians?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 pm

I told DH once bubs arrives we really need to write up a will. Then I asked if he had had shy thought as to who we would put as guardian if something were to happen. He thinks it should be my sister which I'm ok with but having 3 kids of her own how could I put that strain on her and her family? All our brothers and sisters have large families and so do all our friends. I'm actually not comfortable putting a friend anyway when we have family.

How did you choose?

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: How did you choose guardians?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:11 pm

We chose my SIL - they already have children who are of a similar age to our children, have a similar outlook / value set as ourselves in terms of parenting approach/views on religion/etc.

But part of making that decision also involves making sure we provide financial support to my SIL out of our wills, and it was only with my SIL and her partner's blessing that we made the decisions around wills, etc.

finallyfinished
Big Ted
Big Ted

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:34 pm

radge wrote:
we still have to decide :oops: I dont think there is anyone that I would want them to go to

Same here. My hubby's family is very different to mine and I can't stand any of them and he feels the same about my family. As for friends the only ones we would like to ask only have one child and never want any more so I wouldn't like to burden them. So I honestly have no idea.

kyliealysha
Mama on the Move
Mama on the Move

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:05 pm

We haven't. The only people we would want them to go to already have two of their own, so I have the same concern as you.

kathya
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:51 pm

I wouldn't have thought it would be this hard but you really do need to think about everything.

wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Formerly known as wacountrybride

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:54 pm

I just asked my oldest sister 15 minutes ago and she said yes. We are organising our wills next week. My sister has 3 kids but with my hubby's life insurance policy and our assets, there'd be enough money to not be a financial burden on them. I'd trust my sister with my kids' life so it was an easy decision.

kemseyelle
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:20 pm

We haven't. The obvious choice would be my PILs - they look after DS often, have a great relationship with him and have the financial resources to care for him. The downside of course is that they are older - in their early 60s - so it's a bit of a tall order to ask them to take on a young child. But we don't have friends we'd be comfortable asking, and the only other family option would be my sister, who wouldn't be my preferred option - she is a good person and a good mum to her (older) kids, but we have very different ideas about parenting and about the world in general. And she's nearly 50 so actually not *that* much younger than the ILs anyway!

finallyfinished
Big Ted
Big Ted

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 am

~Jodes~ wrote:
For me, not matter how large my own family is I would take on my niece and nephews in a heartbeat. DH and I are the ones who will take on my sisters four children if anything were to happen to her (and with a life threatening condition, it's a very real possibility). It would be hard, but there is now way we could say no.

Same, I would take all of them on in a heart beat. I wouldn't care about the financial burden (and no we aren't rich we struggle week to week) I just wouldn't want it any other way.

kathya
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 pm

finallyfinished wrote:
~Jodes~ wrote:
For me, not matter how large my own family is I would take on my niece and nephews in a heartbeat. DH and I are the ones who will take on my sisters four children if anything were to happen to her (and with a life threatening condition, it's a very real possibility). It would be hard, but there is now way we could say no.

Same, I would take all of them on in a heart beat. I wouldn't care about the financial burden (and no we aren't rich we struggle week to week) I just wouldn't want it any other way.

Thanks guys I know your right. I'm pretty sure my sister has written me as guardian for her 3 kids even though when she asked me at the time I was worried I wouldn't be able to support them financially. I know if it came down to it we'd find a way I guess the same would apply to them.

GZIP: On | Load: 5.66