wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Topic Author

Who babysits your kids?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:06 am

I am running an election in a few months. There'll be a week where I have to take nominations at the shire office. I ran the same election two years ago and asked my mil to babysit during this time. She said yes then promptly went on holidays lol. The nominations are likely to fall in the school holidays again so she may be away again this time. My mum is half an hour away and I'm reluctant to ask her to come over every day for a week.

So I'm considering asking my neighbour to watch the kids when I have to take a nomination. I'd be gone about an hour each time. I've known my neighbours for 2 years. They've potted plants for us, watered our plants and put our bins out. We've given them the odd thing here and there like fresh crabs. We chat whenever we see each other and they've come over for Christmas drinks once. But that's the extent of our dealings

Would you ask her if you were in my position? I'm also keen to ask her to babysit once a month or so for hubby and I to go out for dinner.

Oh and how much should I offer? $20 per hour?

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Re: Who babysits your kids?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 am

I forgot to ask....who do you allow/ask to babysit your kids? For me, it's my dad, my mum, hubby's mum and my sisters.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:49 am

DH and my family babysit for us: my two SILS (although one of them lives on her own so I would never send a baby / toddler over for her to mind, although she has minded my other SILs toddlers all the time. I just feel like I am imposing on her when she already does so much fun things with A like taking him to concerts, etc), my parents and in laws. There are a few frends in would leave the kids with as well (one of them picks up A from kinder once a week whilst I am at work, I do the same for her one say a week). As A has gotten older, he has had lots of sleepovers at friends' and family. I am very lucky to have a big support network

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 am

And to answer your question WACM - I have hired babysitters for after hours in the past and it's been about $16-18 per hour ($18 being if you need the babysitter to do bath and dinner, etc). This is from an agency. It costs more if you need more qualified help like mothercraft skills, etc

I think $20 an hour sounds very reasonable, WACM. Is there any way you could check the going rates for nanny agencies etc where you are, WACM, to see how $20 an hour compares?

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Who babysits your kids?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 am

On the rare occasion we have a sitter, 5 times in 6 yrs... We have no life and no us time :lol: we pay $20 per hour. We recently had a sitter stay over as we were both drinking and couldn't take her home and didn't get home till 2am and we paid her $100 and she was happy with that!

We don't have any family close by that can help us.

I think you should ask your neighbour!

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:36 am

Hubby was a bit iffy, saying why on earth would she want to do it?! But he's happy for me to leave the kids with her. So I'll ask her next time I see her. Good suggestion C, I googled for babysitters in Banbury and the going rate is about $20. I hope she says yes!

You know, I used to babysit neighbours kids when I was a teenager and while at uni. You rarely hear of that happening now.

~MTM~
Parenting on a wing and a prayer
Parenting on a wing and a prayer

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

Nobody really now. It would've been mum and when she's having a good day she does like to have my kids for an hour but other than that, maybe my niece?

Other than that there is nobody I would leave my kids with and I wouldn't hire someone.

tinabeans
Bring me a shrubbery!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Mil looks after DS once a week, they live 40 minutes away. Maybe living rurally I don't see the big deal over a half hour trip? My mum will be moving back here but 40 minutes away also, she also intends to do some babysitting.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:01 pm

It's 5 days from 8:30-5 that I have to be available to take nominations. I'd just feel bad dragging mum here every day just in case. She's got gym and swim classes during the week, community garden stuff plus my dad. Whereas the neighbour could pop over at a moments notice. And if MIL doesn't go away, I could ask her first.

julz-maree
Tassie Devil
Tassie Devil

Who babysits your kids?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:23 pm

wacountrymum wrote:
You know, I used to babysit neighbours kids when I was a teenager and while at uni. You rarely hear of that happening now.
we had a teenager babysitter but they moved I've just going another (finally) and she's 17 - I pay $15 an hour but if we are going out partying for example and will be ages I just pay her a set amount

I've no family here so I've had to find a sitter I'd loose my sanity not wing able to go out occasionally movies dinner etc I have a coupe friends in the same situation as me so we look after each others kids and the kids love it cause they get sleepovers and I have a good friend up the road who had no kids who we can use on occasions to

When we were home it was out families - my inlaws ate up ATM so in using every opportunity for time out while try are here :lol:

finallyfinished
Big Ted
Big Ted

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm

No one. Maybe once every three-four months i go and visit my mumbut thenits only for may ean hour here or there. I would love to have a regular babysitter but when people find out my toddler is very clingy to me and would scream for hours on end until i return they dont really offer to watch her...(u derstandly so)

Princess AJ
Living my dream
Living my dream

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm

My parents or the IL's most of the time. I have one great friend who's known both my kids since birth (& me hers), and she looks after them both on occlusion - she had just Noa for an hour or so today while I took Charli for her 4yr check...

I also have my siblings who my kids adore. I probably could leave them with DH's brother & his wife, but they barely patent their own children & offer them coke over water, so I'd rather not leave my 2 with them tbh....

I think if your kids know. & like your neighbours, then go for it!

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 pm

So....I asked my neighbour and she said yes. Thank goodness because my mum told me yesterday she's scheduled a knee op for smack bang in the middle of my nomination period. She won't be able to babysit for me at all! And I'm still reluctant to ask mil because she's babysitting my nephew quite a lot.

I'm a bit annoyed at mum. Obviously her knee op is more important and its great that she could get it done so quick. But she didn't even say 'by the way, I can't babysit for you now, sorry about that'.

~Shell~
Can't hand this one back
Can't hand this one back

Who babysits your kids?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Glad she can do it for you.

We have my sister and a friend as our typical babysitters. Otherwise I have used an agency before.

mogle
Me and The City
Me and The City

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 pm

My Mum is the only one that babysits Sophia. I would trust our neighbours, and I have friends I could ask, but I haven't done so.

~Emmylou~
Monster Madness
Monster Madness

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm

My Mum, SIL, MIL and a good friend as my littlest is like finallyfinished's and screams non stop. she is getting better and only screams for half the time i am at work now LOL

C was looked after by lots of people but hes easy going and nothing worries him.

my neighbours sometimes come housesit if J is asleep and have to go do kinder run or babyistter is running late. both kids are happy enough to be watched by them as long as its not any longer than 15mins

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm

My family.

Cherry
Peace, Love & Mung Beans
Peace, Love & Mung Beans

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:17 am

Not sure on pricing as I have never used baby sitters.

When a was a baby we never left her with anyone, wasn't until we moved in with my mum and she was 3 that I left her with my mum for short periods of time. I also had a fantastic neighbour at our last house and she sat in our house while a slept so we could go to a restaurant for dinner... That hasn't happened again though as we have no night life anymore lol.

Now she is a bit older I can leave her with my mil or a few kinder mums I trust and am very close to.

ktpoo
Wondermummy
Wondermummy

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 am

I'm glad your neighbour said yes.
We use my mum and aunt, DH's parents and I think once or twice we may have asked my sister and her husband.
We really don't go out much at all without the kids to be honest.....If we have something on, often just one of us will go and the other will be with the children.

strugglingmum13
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 pm

We usually rely on friends. We reciprocate the favour when needed

GZIP: On | Load: 2.7