Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Charity Walk

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am

Hi!

So I posted this elsewhere originally but haven't gotten any advice. :(
Hi everybody!

So I'm doing a 20km charity walk soon with a friend.
Originally I was just going to take my 3 year old in her stroller, but then my 11 year old said she wanted to go as well.

My 11 year old is petite (26.5kg, 132cm tall, still in a booster seat), and can't walk the distance. When I told her this, she suggested that she could sit in her sister's stroller for 5 minutes here and there to rest.
I had to laugh at the suggestion, but then told her that it would be hard to keep her sister walking for long enough for her to rest up (we would be walking briskly, DD3 would struggle to keep up).

At this point, my friend said that if DD11 was serious then we could take her double stroller. It's a Valco Baby Tri-Mode Twin.
DD11 is about 4.5kg over the seat limit, but my friend isn't really worried. Both girls sat in it for about 15 minutes at my friend's house, and no problems.

My concerns are as follows:
1. Is 4.5kg over the 22kg limit per seat a big deal? I pushed them around and it felt fine.
2. Can anybody foresee any problems?

DD11 has been told she can walk some of the way, but once she gets tired and wants to use the stroller she can't get in and out every five minutes - once she's in she stays in.
Any problems with this approach?

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Charity Walk

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 am

I'd go for it with the twin pram. I can't give advice on being over the weight limit, but I'm guessing that it's on their to cover the asses of the company, of course there may be a problem, but then there mightn't be.

Sorry not much help...

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 am

Can your 11 year old ride her bike or scooter and last the distance? Is that an option?

Emily_
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Riding a bike at walking speed may be tricky in and of itself. I don't think it would be appropriate for the event though (she could hit someone, for instance).

Megs
Formerly known as Megs4780
Formerly known as Megs4780

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:58 pm

I think the pram would probably be fine- probably a lot kinder in it than a squirmy bouncing toddler. Would your friend be upset if it were to break?

Boo Boo
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I would think the weight limit shouldn't matter to much if you're walking on flat even road or something. I would think the strain on the frame would come with contant over weight where the pram was bouncing around alot.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 pm

I've got a valco trimode and it's a pretty tough pram! I've no idea of the weight rating, but I've had both boys sitting in it (on each others laps) and they're probably about 40kgs between them with clothes and boots on and that's a single pram.

Emily_
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Megs wrote:
I think the pram would probably be fine- probably a lot kinder in it than a squirmy bouncing toddler. Would your friend be upset if it were to break?

She hasn't used it for a while, so I don't think so.

Happy Mummy wrote:
I've got a valco trimode and it's a pretty tough pram! I've no idea of the weight rating, but I've had both boys sitting in it (on each others laps) and they're probably about 40kgs between them with clothes and boots on and that's a single pram.

That's good to know. :) Thanks.

Can anyone foresee any other problems? Regarding the rules I've given DD11 is it fair enough that once she gets in she stays in? I just don't want to have to keep stopping and starting constantly.

KateM
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm

The main problem I forsee is that 20km is a long way, and the extra pram plus your daughters weight will get draining several hours in.

Is her walking as far as she can, then joining you at the last 1km an option?

Emily_
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm in quite good shape for this, so for my part there won't be a problem with pushing the stroller.

As for her starting, and then presumably being picked up and later dropped closer to the finish line, not really. I don't want to put anyone else out.

finallyfinished
Big Ted
Big Ted

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:05 pm

I put my dd in a single pram (baby jogger city elite) and she was 3 kg over the weight limit and has buckled the wheels. It is now painful to turn and really needs to be dumped. I guess you need to see how your friend fells about it if this was to happen. Would she expect you to replace it?

Emily_
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm

I just asked her again, and she is absolutely confident that it won't be an issue. She doesn't use it anymore, and said that if by chance something did happen then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Happy Mummy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Sounds like a good plan then :) Do you have an ipod or portable DVD players or similar? They might get bored? Also don't forget plenty of snacks for them to keep them occupied :)

Emily_
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Happy Mummy wrote:
Sounds like a good plan then :) Do you have an ipod or portable DVD players or similar? They might get bored? Also don't forget plenty of snacks for them to keep them occupied :)

That's a good point. I'll have to pack their Nintendo DSes. DD11 can also borrow my iPod.

I was originally quite worried about DD11 being a pain in the bottom if she did get bored because knowing her she'd be in and out every five minutes. But my friend showed me the harness and buckle and it's actually quite childproof and counterintuitive. We adjusted the harnesses when they tried it, but made a point not to actually buckle her in, so she doesn't know it's childproof yet and she definitely doesn't know how to open it. :lol:

Emily_
Beenie Bear
Beenie Bear
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Just an update. The walk went well. DD11 made it a about half way before calling it quits and hitching a ride - not bad considering she didn't do any preparation like I did.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised but she did try to get out about 10 minutes later, despite the rules she agreed to. I think she was quite surprised when she couldn't open her harness so she could get out; she spent the next two minutes squirming in her seat before calling it quits and going back to playing her game. Impressively her 'tantrum' was well-absorbed by the stroller.

Anyway, the stroller made the distance just fine. Valco Baby have done a good job. :cheer:

GZIP: On | Load: 5.05