wacountrymum
Formerly known as wacountrybride
Topic Author

Older child picking on younger

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 am

My 3yo dd keeps picking on her 1yo little brother. She'll push him over, push her head into his and today I caught her trying to stand on his tummy when he was laying on the floor. I saw red and smacked her hard.

a) I don't want to smack her, it makes me feel like sh!t and is probably traumatising her
b) it's not working

So I've tried telling her it's not nice, to use gentle hands yada yada, pushing her when she pushes him (yeah, that's not working either), yelling, putting her in room and telling her she can come out when she's ready to play nicely and when I'm tired and over it, I smack.

She can play nicely with him and she generally plays nicely with other kids. So am I putting too much emphasis on this? Should I let them work it out themselves? I'm assuming O will push back one day.

What do/did you do when your toddler picks on the baby? I'm wondering if I should only intervene when she's actually hurting him which is rare.

C
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Older child picking on younger

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Yea, J is 2 and he fights back now. It's not pretty. The 2 of them are driving me batty because I am physically separating them from each other. Sometimes A does it because that's how he attracts J's attention, or that he cuddles J so hard that J thinks it's a tackle (you would think it's a tackle too if someone has got your head in a headlock!) I don't know what to do, except to keep separating them.

wacountrymum
Topic Author

Re: Older child picking on younger

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for the ideas Radge. C I can remember fighting with my older sister and looking back, I can't believe the things I did! Mum left us to it (although we were older than your two).

GZIP: On | Load: 4.92