~Shell~
Can't hand this one back
Can't hand this one back
Topic Author

Age appropriate chores

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:39 am

Only little things like taking their dirty clothes to the laundry each night, R makes her bed. we don't pay them though!

kemseyelle
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Age appropriate chores

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 am

My DS is only 2 so doesn't have overwhelming responsibilities around the house! :lol: And he doesn't get pocket money - we just spend all our money on him! :lol:

But we encourage him to pack up his toys after he's finished with them (limited success!), put his clothes in his hamper when he takes them off, put his rubbish in the bin and collect the mail each day. He also helps with other household tasks - he helps water the garden, put clothes in the washing machine and he loves helping with the cooking. At this age, he generally thinks these are all fun activities rather than chores per se! We figure the best approach is just to normalise helping around the house and taking responsibility for your things. He will probably have more formal jobs around the house when he's older.

Someone shared this list of suggested age-appropriate chores with me awhile back - I thought it was pretty good as a guide.

Megs
Formerly known as Megs4780
Formerly known as Megs4780

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:47 pm

I decided that C should make her bed, put dirty clothes in basket, brush her hair, set the table and put toys away. Each job was worth 5c, so $1.75 a week. I have quickly lost the motivation for doing it though lol. I should start again, she was getting into the habit of doing some of them. She spent her weekly money on yogurts lol

finallyfinished
Big Ted
Big Ted

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:43 pm

My older two (8&6) do chores just because i say. No pocket money here. They have to make there beds, clean there rooms, my son takes the bin out, the two of them set the table for dinner. They both have to make sure there chooks have food/water.

GZIP: On | Load: 3.12