MacyMoo
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Speech and Language Development Questions and Tips

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks lotus! Thats pretty much how I thought it would go.

Frenchy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Not sure if this is something you can answer but my DD1 confuses her opposites. For example if she is hot she will say she is cold. She gets happy and sad correct. Is this something I should worry about or something she will grow into getting right?

rarmalb
Riley and Jesse's girl
Riley and Jesse's girl

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi lotus. Can't believe I am in here again about my youngest :( How concerned should we be with pretty much no speech at 21.5 months?

The pead we saw was concerned (saw him originally about a different issue and we will see him again soon), but when I spoke to the speech therapist that our oldest saw she wasn't too concerned. She has seen our 21 month old every fortnight for 5 months or so when coming to our home for the appointments for the oldest, and she felt it wasn't a concern at this time after she observed his behaviour and comprehension etc. She said that there are a few things you can do at this age (things like constant repetition of words and reading etc). He has had his hearing checked, and appears to have no other delay in milestones.

He rarely uses words- he will say mum every now and then, but most of the communication is done with pointing and grunting, or tapping us with his hand and pointing or physically taking us to what he wants. He has made some sounds by copying us- so if I say 'ball' he may copy back and say the 'b' sound, but generally he'll respond with a grunt. Same with words like 'more' or 'mine' - if we push it he will come back with the 'm' sound. He tries to do animal sounds when he sees animals IRL or in books. He has come out with 'dad' occasionally, but other than that, any other words like 'jesse' (dog name) have only ever happened a few times, and that's about it.

He understands things like 'get your socks and shoes', and instructions like 'go sit down' or 'nappy change before going outside' (he will go and get his nappy and lie down, and then gets up and walks to the door when he is changed). So the comprehension doesn't seem to be an issue.

Milliepede
Mama Bear
Mama Bear

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:28 pm

HI,

I am also concerned about my daughters speech. like rarmalb, my DD mainly points and grunts. She is 17 months old and does not use any words at all in context. She says mumma and dada and NA NA NA. But thats about it. We have THOUGHT we have heard the occasional word, both nothing concrete.

She understand what we are asking/saying to her, but will get what she wants by grunting, screaming or pointing. I have trying repeating the word like "water" when I know she wants her drink, but she just stares and my blankly.

As per rarmalb's point, I don't think her comprehension is an issue as If I ask her to get something or does she want to read a book she knows where to go and what to do, its just when she gets there she grunts to communicate what she wants. I have also noticed that she is blowing kisses instead of saying TA. Like her way of saying "please" or "thank you"

Maybe I am reading too much into it, people keep telling me it takes time and to not be concerned! :(

Merlot
I need a title!
I need a title!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Elise - DD knocked her front tooth just before Christmas and managed to push it back (enough to kill the nerves but not chip it :( ) I am wondering if that kind of injury can affect speech - I can hear slight impediments but I dont know if its just that her language is developing and they are age appropriate or related to her teeth/tooth moving. Hope this makes sense!
Thanks!

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 am

Wow I haven't been in here in so long, I've got a lot of questions to catch up on. Sorry I've got so behind.

torz wrote:
Hey Elise if you have the time I have a question.

A few of Tristan's words he seems to say a bit backwards sometimes. Like he has "bob" (as in the builder :roll: ) but he normally says it "boba" but sometimes (increasingly) turns it round to "babo". And now with Dora "doda" he has started saying "dado". Is that normal?

Also, he has Bob the builder shoes, so now all shoes are "bob". Please tell me he will grow out of that :lol: It's driving me nuts. He has a Bob chair and Bob blankets, but not all chairs are bob and not all blankets are bob, just all shoes. :roll:

Tory he's still very young in verbal communication terms, so that's all fine for his age. He'll sort it all out in his head soon. (I'm so behind that he may have already).

Frenchy wrote:
Not sure if this is something you can answer but my DD1 confuses her opposites. For example if she is hot she will say she is cold. She gets happy and sad correct. Is this something I should worry about or something she will grow into getting right?

Opposite concepts are extremely complex for young children. I've seen some children start prep still confused. If it's that late todevelop it is delayed, but as long as she can identify the majority of opposite concepts by beginning kinder then that's fine.

rarmalb wrote:
Hi lotus. Can't believe I am in here again about my youngest :( How concerned should we be with pretty much no speech at 21.5 months?

The pead we saw was concerned (saw him originally about a different issue and we will see him again soon), but when I spoke to the speech therapist that our oldest saw she wasn't too concerned. She has seen our 21 month old every fortnight for 5 months or so when coming to our home for the appointments for the oldest, and she felt it wasn't a concern at this time after she observed his behaviour and comprehension etc. She said that there are a few things you can do at this age (things like constant repetition of words and reading etc). He has had his hearing checked, and appears to have no other delay in milestones.

He rarely uses words- he will say mum every now and then, but most of the communication is done with pointing and grunting, or tapping us with his hand and pointing or physically taking us to what he wants. He has made some sounds by copying us- so if I say 'ball' he may copy back and say the 'b' sound, but generally he'll respond with a grunt. Same with words like 'more' or 'mine' - if we push it he will come back with the 'm' sound. He tries to do animal sounds when he sees animals IRL or in books. He has come out with 'dad' occasionally, but other than that, any other words like 'jesse' (dog name) have only ever happened a few times, and that's about it.

He understands things like 'get your socks and shoes', and instructions like 'go sit down' or 'nappy change before going outside' (he will go and get his nappy and lie down, and then gets up and walks to the door when he is changed). So the comprehension doesn't seem to be an issue.

R, you'd just hope he has a big vocab spurt within the next couple of months. I would say he's delayed at this stage, but you never know when that spurt may happen. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use lots of strategies to help his language come along. Have you had a look at the Hanen website? http://www.hanen.org/Hanen-Programs/Pro ... rents.aspx

Milliepede wrote:
HI,

I am also concerned about my daughters speech. like rarmalb, my DD mainly points and grunts. She is 17 months old and does not use any words at all in context. She says mumma and dada and NA NA NA. But thats about it. We have THOUGHT we have heard the occasional word, both nothing concrete.

She understand what we are asking/saying to her, but will get what she wants by grunting, screaming or pointing. I have trying repeating the word like "water" when I know she wants her drink, but she just stares and my blankly.

As per rarmalb's point, I don't think her comprehension is an issue as If I ask her to get something or does she want to read a book she knows where to go and what to do, its just when she gets there she grunts to communicate what she wants. I have also noticed that she is blowing kisses instead of saying TA. Like her way of saying "please" or "thank you"

Maybe I am reading too much into it, people keep telling me it takes time and to not be concerned! :(

At 17 months there's a lot that can happen before she turns 2, so I wouldn't be too concerned yet. If comprehension is OK that's the main thing to look for at her age.

AnnabelleD wrote:
Hi Elise - DD knocked her front tooth just before Christmas and managed to push it back (enough to kill the nerves but not chip it :( ) I am wondering if that kind of injury can affect speech - I can hear slight impediments but I dont know if its just that her language is developing and they are age appropriate or related to her teeth/tooth moving. Hope this makes sense!
Thanks!

Annabelle, usually the early developing tongue tip sounds like 't' and 'd' are not too affected by teeth. 'f' would be one to look out for. It's the later developing sounds like 's' and 'th' that can be if teeth are damaged once the adult teeth come through. Rermember kids go through a period with no front teeth at all and it doesn't usually have any impact on speech.

Angie87 wrote:
Hi Elise,

Jett has some trouble with "sh" words. So fish is "fi" and then he sniffs to make the sh sound. Same for wish "wi" SNIFF, finish "fini" SNIFF etc. I try to get him to say it correctly because he can make the quiet sound "shhhh" but when he puts it together it comes out "fi-shhhh" with two syllables and he really has to concentrate to say it. Should I just keep working through it with him? Anything I should be doing differently? Thanks!

Angie, the fact that he's able to say it and try to get it at the end of the word is great. Usually when we're working on a new sound with kids it begins with the sound being separated from the word as you've described, and there's a lot of effort to produce it. It then just takes a lot of practice to put it in the word without a gap, and then lots of practice to be able to say it automatically in words in conversation. I don't tend to work on a 'sh' until 4 years, so you're doing well.

Frenchy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks. :D

Milliepede
Mama Bear
Mama Bear

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks Elise!

MacyMoo
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Principessa wrote:
Hey Elise, just wondering if you have a link for 2+? :)

I would be interested in this as well.

bub bear
Mikayla's Mummy
Mikayla's Mummy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi Elise,

My daughter is 3, turning 4 in about 2 months. Quite awhile ago we noticed her stuttering a lot, but thought she would just grow out of it. We starting telling her to stop and think about what she wanted to say. She then began saying "think" at the start of every sentence, sometimes a couple of times in a row.

Now she has stopped both those things, but has a prolonged stammer I would call it like this - "Muuuuuuuuumy I, Muuuuuuuuumy, Muuuuuuuuumy I, I want, Iiiiiiiiii waaaaant to, Muuuuuuuuumy I want to go outside." It's like she is trying to slow herself down and she can't get the words out.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it's certainly frequent enough to be of concern.

Also my Mum says she can't understand what she is saying most of the time, however we can perfectly. She pronounces some words unusually also, for example she says - "Mulk" instead of "Milk" and "Parple" instead of "Purple", but when I correct her she says it correctly.

I really think she needs to see a speech therapist, but I don't know where to go and I'm worried I haven't got her there early enough. Can you please recommend someone to me. I live in Doreen which is outer North East Melbourne.

Thanks so much in advance.

nursekim
Little Ted
Little Ted

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 pm

bub bear are you able to see a MCHN? They should be able to make an appointment with a speech for you for an assessment, at least, that is how it works in NSW. A stutter is definitely something that I would automatically refer one of my clients to a speech therapist to be seen about!!

bub bear
Mikayla's Mummy
Mikayla's Mummy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks nursekim.

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:17 pm

bub bear wrote:
Hi Elise,

My daughter is 3, turning 4 in about 2 months. Quite awhile ago we noticed her stuttering a lot, but thought she would just grow out of it. We starting telling her to stop and think about what she wanted to say. She then began saying "think" at the start of every sentence, sometimes a couple of times in a row.

Now she has stopped both those things, but has a prolonged stammer I would call it like this - "Muuuuuuuuumy I, Muuuuuuuuumy, Muuuuuuuuumy I, I want, Iiiiiiiiii waaaaant to, Muuuuuuuuumy I want to go outside." It's like she is trying to slow herself down and she can't get the words out.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it's certainly frequent enough to be of concern.

Also my Mum says she can't understand what she is saying most of the time, however we can perfectly. She pronounces some words unusually also, for example she says - "Mulk" instead of "Milk" and "Parple" instead of "Purple", but when I correct her she says it correctly.

I really think she needs to see a speech therapist, but I don't know where to go and I'm worried I haven't got her there early enough. Can you please recommend someone to me. I live in Doreen which is outer North East Melbourne.

Thanks so much in advance.

My clinic's in Watsonia North, not far from Doreen, and I give discounts for maternal members. If you'd like I can pm you my details?

It's definitely not too late, but sounds like it would be worth getting an assessment.

bub bear
Mikayla's Mummy
Mikayla's Mummy

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 pm

lotus wrote:
My clinic's in Watsonia North, not far from Doreen, and I give discounts for maternal members. If you'd like I can pm you my details?

It's definitely not too late, but sounds like it would be worth getting an assessment.

PERFECT! Yes I'll PM you now for details! Thanks :D

timtam
Chocolate Zoo
Chocolate Zoo

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 pm

MacyMoo wrote:
Principessa wrote:
Hey Elise, just wondering if you have a link for 2+? :)

I would be interested in this as well.

Oh yes me too :D

doublehappiness
Living my fairytale
Living my fairytale

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Lotus
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but do animal sounds count as words?? I'm trying to write a list of how many words a has (unfortunately its not many) and not sure whether I can include animal sounds??

Nicoletta
"Going Commando!"
"Going Commando!"

Speech and Language Development Questions and Tips

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Lotus :)

Xavier is 3y4m. He was "later" in speaking (not a delay as far as I'm aware) but has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 6-12 months. He has a few sounds that he consistently mispronounces. "th" as "f" which I've asked you about before and I don't think we need to worry about. But another persistent one is "l" as "y", so legs is yegs. It seems to really affect how well other adults and kids who don't know him well understand him. Other kids often stare blankly at him so I worry he will have trouble footling friendships! Is this something we should do anything about yet? Ta :)

BlueEyedBaby
Formerly known as sparkles123
Formerly known as sparkles123

Thu May 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Lotus

Elyse is making predominantly D sounding noises....didid, dadad, dododo....is this age appropriate? We do get bubbub and mummum as well as fuff ???? and that.

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sun May 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Sunshine wrote:
Nicoletta wrote:
He has a few sounds that he consistently mispronounces. "th" as "f" which I've asked you about before and I don't think we need to worry about.

Cooper still does this and he's nearly 6. I was coming back into this thread to try and find some info! I know it's a tricky sound. He's actually at the stage now where he's trying to correct himself and sometimes he can say it properly but he really needs to concentrate.

I got a sheet from a speech path a few weeks back (went to an info session) and it says that the "th" sounds come at 8 years for words where it is 'voiced' - such as this, brother and with; and then at 8.5 years for words where it is 'voiceless' - such as thumb, nothing and mouth. But hopefully Lotus can check this thread and give more advice.

Blue Bell
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon May 28, 2012 10:05 am

Well, he may get there even faster then!

GZIP: On | Load: 3.26