beccy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Re: Speech and Language Development Questions and Tips

Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi elise,
Thank you for this thread, my little man is 2.5 and he has been a late teether, crawler and walker so I wasn't expecting an early talker. But he seems to be about a year behind what he should be, he only now would have about 50 words and isn't putting any words together in a sentence.
He comprehends everything and his hearing is fine cause he can hear a plane earlier than any of us so I am confident that hearing isn't an issue.
Daycare have brought up that we should get on the waiting list for speech just to get our foot in the door if we need to in another few months or so and I now agree (i didn't at 2 yrs of age). I talk to Clyde all of the time but was just wondering if you had any tips for helping him start sentences whilst we are waiting.

He is a very shy and placid boy by nature which is why I haven't been worried about it too much up until now.

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Beccy, the main thing is to keep your sentences short when you're talking to him. The general idea with late talkers is to speak to them about 1 level above how they're speaking. So if he's using single words, respond to him with basic 2-3 word sentences. E.g. He says "bird" and points at a bird, you respond with "Yes. Bird flying. See the bird? Little bird." You've repeated the word "bird" over and over in different contexts to demonstrate to him how he can increase his sentences.

Another thing is to try not to talk all the time. With children who are late talkers and don't talk a lot the common reaction is to just fill in the gaps and talk a lot yourself instead. You need to make sure he has plenty of opportunities to communicate. A good strategy is called 'OWL' - Observe, Wait & Listen. Observe what he's doing and what he appears interested in, Wait and see if he will communicate anything to you (whether words, gestures, jargon), Listen intently to any vocalising to see if you can make any word out of what he's said, and interpret his communication as though he did say a word. When you're really tuned in to him in this way you'll probably notice he's attempting to communicate a lot more than you realised.

Hope that helps. Have you also read through the tips on the first page of this thread for other suggestions?

beccy
I need a title!
I need a title!

Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks heaps for that, we will start those tips today.

I did have a very quick read though a few months ago when his speech was bought up initially and we were just kind of concentrating on increasing his word vocab but now we need to incorporate those other things as well.

You are probably right about us overtalking, cause he is our only one, we talk all the time to him and predict what he wants all the time without him having to verbalise it as well.

Thanks again!! Just then he did put his first two words together and said bye mummy when he was driving off with my parents.. So there you go!!

littlemisslibby
Soccer Mum In Training
Soccer Mum In Training

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Miss Lotus

Okay so i can't remember what isabel was doing speech wise at this age but i am concerned that Milly may be a tad behind

She is currently making speech like noises like ahhh ahhh ahhh and dada dada but no mummy!

She imatitate us if we go Awwwww or uh uh and shakes her head when we say no, points at things when she wants it but is not naming things!

What should she be doing at 11 months and when do i start to worry!

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:48 pm

littlemisslibby wrote:
Hi Miss Lotus

Okay so i can't remember what isabel was doing speech wise at this age but i am concerned that Milly may be a tad behind

She is currently making speech like noises like ahhh ahhh ahhh and dada dada but no mummy!

She imatitate us if we go Awwwww or uh uh and shakes her head when we say no, points at things when she wants it but is not naming things!

What should she be doing at 11 months and when do i start to worry!

Babbling just 'dada' but no 'mumma' at 11 months is fine! Is she saying 'bubba' or any other consonant sounds? 'mumma' is less common than 'dada'. She clearly understands a lot of things, and that's the big thing to look for at her age. I wouldn't be worried yet. I think Miss Isabel was a little advanced as well though, so try not to compare to her. HTH

mummajo wrote:
Hi :)

G had tounge tie when she was born (snipped at 5 days) & we have been told she will need to see a ST to insure there aren't another issues, can you explain why for me?

Tia!
Jo

It's unusual for a tongue tie snipped so young to need any ongoing SP, but they may just want to be sure of the movement of her tongue. Sometimes a snip later on can impact on the tongue movement, especially with upward, forward movement to make speech sounds like 't' and 'l'. a snip at 5 days rarely results in any speech difficulties, as far as I'm aware of. I have to say it's not an area I've worked a lot in though.

BlueEyedBaby
Formerly known as sparkles123

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Lotus

My 7 month girl has gone really quiet over the past few week. She was just starting with the occasional something like mummum but not anymore. She tends to grunt a lot at toys and her dummy. Is this all normal? There doesn't seem to be a lot of cooing or babbling going on.

TIA.

~TT~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Lotus.

Lucy makes the sound of a word, but doesn't pronounce it. Eg, thank you, is 2 sounds. Kind of like a hum with her mouth open. She only says 3 or 4 words. I'm not concerned about her hearing or the way she understands what is going on. Do I wait a little longer or look into it now?

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 pm

sparkles123 wrote:
Hi Lotus

My 7 month girl has gone really quiet over the past few week. She was just starting with the occasional something like mummum but not anymore. She tends to grunt a lot at toys and her dummy. Is this all normal? There doesn't seem to be a lot of cooing or babbling going on.

TIA.

I wouldn't be too worried yet. Babbling on average begins around 6-8 months, so if she's shown some sign of it that's good. It's not too uncommon to show some signs then stop, and then show more soon after. If she still isn't babbling (dada, mumma, bubba, gaga) by 9 -10 months then you might be a bit concerned and start to look at things like hearing, responding to her own name, whether she interacts with pointing and sounds to get your attention.

~TT~ wrote:
Hi Lotus.

Lucy makes the sound of a word, but doesn't pronounce it. Eg, thank you, is 2 sounds. Kind of like a hum with her mouth open. She only says 3 or 4 words. I'm not concerned about her hearing or the way she understands what is going on. Do I wait a little longer or look into it now?

TT, when you say she only says 3-4 words, is that clear words, or the sounds of the words like you described above? Is she 2? A benchmark is considered to be around 50 words by 2 years. If less than that at 2 it's always recommended to have a full language assessment with a SP and a hearing test just to be sure. Let me know if you have any other questions about that.

BlueEyedBaby

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks Lotus!

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Kel is he a fast talker? Sometimes children who speak really quickly can leave some words out at times. How long in words are his sentences generally now? For his age you'd be expecting about 2-4 words sentences, so if he's dropping words in his every day conversation but still saying mostly 2-4 words sentences it'd be normal. He may be able to add those extra words when you slow him down as he's then focussing on it, but in his spontaneous language he hasn't reached that stage yet. Does that make sense?

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Definitely sounds like he's doing really well then. It may be fast speech, but if he's speaking such long sentences normally I wouldn't be too worried. Great that he's come so far!!! :cheer: :cheer:

~TT~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Thank you for the feedback re Lucy. How do I go about getting a hearing test? Through my GP or SP?

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Through your GP. Good luck with it. If I can be of any more assistance let me know.

littlemisslibby
Soccer Mum In Training
Soccer Mum In Training

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Glimmer isabel is still doing that and calls boys her and girls him :)

Elise isabel struggles with saying TH sounds she either says them as FF or FL as in Flumb not thumb! sounds super cute!

~Jo Jo~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Lotus :)

Bailey has always been a bit slower in his language/speech development - approx 6 months behind the 'general' milestones. We had a visit with the MCHN today and she has suggested we see a speech therapist as his language is not as clear as what she would expect. He has no issues with understanding anything and he has a lot of words but I guess people (other than me) have trouble understanding him.

We have seen a big improvement over the last couple of months but she believes that if we don't get it sorted ASAP it will effect him long term. We was happy to wait a while but she was adamant that it had to be dealt with now.

So my question is when do we know when it is time to see someone about his speech? Is waiting a bit longer really going to effect him in a negative way or should we be taking it a bit more seriously?

TIA

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 pm

glimmer wrote:
A quick question

At what age should children have personal pronouns under control?

EG Emma will say "my am doing it" rather than I am doing it, but will then say "I did it"

It sounds like she may be developing it at the moment if she gets it in some sentences and not in others. 'I' is generally developed around 2 years, but that's when you first see it, not when it's completely mastered. Some children can take a few months before they master it completely.

This website has a great table for what age to expect which pronouns: http://www.education.com/reference/arti ... -children/

littlemisslibby wrote:
Glimmer isabel is still doing that and calls boys her and girls him :)

Elise isabel struggles with saying TH sounds she either says them as FF or FL as in Flumb not thumb! sounds super cute!

Glimmer's right, 'th' is the last sound to develop, around 6-7 years often.

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:56 pm

~Jo Jo~ wrote:
Hi Lotus :)

Bailey has always been a bit slower in his language/speech development - approx 6 months behind the 'general' milestones. We had a visit with the MCHN today and she has suggested we see a speech therapist as his language is not as clear as what she would expect. He has no issues with understanding anything and he has a lot of words but I guess people (other than me) have trouble understanding him.

We have seen a big improvement over the last couple of months but she believes that if we don't get it sorted ASAP it will effect him long term. We was happy to wait a while but she was adamant that it had to be dealt with now.

So my question is when do we know when it is time to see someone about his speech? Is waiting a bit longer really going to effect him in a negative way or should we be taking it a bit more seriously?

TIA

JoJo, in terms of the clarity of speech, we don't tend to do anything about it until they're 3 as speech sound therapy is very difficult to do with a 2 year old. Having said that though, I am currently working with a 2 year old but only because his speech sound errors are very unusual and don't follow the normal developmental pattern so i want to start early as I feel he has a disorder rather than developmental issue. Research has shown that by 24 months a child's speech is normally 50 -75% intelligible to parents, and by 36 months a child's speech is normally 75-100% intelligible to parents. These websites have a bit more info about that:
http://speech-language-therapy.com/acquisition.html
http://www.speechpathologyaustralia.org ... Speech.pdf

So if you have any difficulties understanding him at 3 years old, then I'd take him for an assessment. Not doing anything before 3 years won't really impact him, but leaving longer than 3 1/2 is not recommended.

Hope that helps.

~Jo Jo~
I need a title!
I need a title!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks so much for that information, I really appreciate it and you have put my mind at ease :4u:

I will keep an eye on things after he turns 3 and then will look at an assessment if there has been no major improvement.

MacyMoo
I need a title!
I need a title!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Lotus,

I have posted before about concerns with Archers delayed speech, or lack of speech. We have an appt to see a speech therapists early next month on the recommendation of our MCHN nurse. Can you please tell me what to expect at the appt? What sort of things will she be doing with him?

lotus
All That Jazz
All That Jazz
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Macy they'll most likely spend quite a bit of time talking to you while Archer plays, maybe going through a checklist of developmental language behaviours. Then they mayobserve him playing with you to watch how he communicates with you, and they'll most likely do some sort of assessment with him that may involve seeing if he can follow instructions in play, looking at pictures in a book together to see if he can point to them, seeing if he can point to parts of his body, clothing items etc. It should all be through play in a very gentle way, so you wouldn't even realise they were assessing him.

GZIP: On | Load: 2.67